Not sure what the problem could be

I've had Comm errors in the past and have discovered that it's related to when my desktop is running.

I always put my computer on standby mode (never actually powered off)and when I do that the errors go away.

I bought a 10 amp Filterlinc and put it on the powerbar that all the computer and related devices are plugged in to and it doesn't seem to do anything. The comm errors are still there and go away when the computer is in standby.

I don't understand what can be wrong.

Drew

This is almost exactly like the problem I had. The only "fix" I could come up witjh is a new power supply or a new PC. FilterLincs won't fix the problem, as you've been able to determine. If you're interested you might want to check out http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewtopic.php?t=1188. In particular, the "SCAN Z" test is really useful in tracking down problems like this.

The outlet is fine. I've replaced the outlet with a Decora not too long ago and checked my work with the tester.

I can move the computer to a different room.

I could just put it on an extension cord and run the cord to different outlets (easy to do) or should I move the actual computer? (bit of a pain)

Is the Filterlinc useless then?

Drew

I've had Comm errors in the past and have discovered that it's related to when my desktop is running.

I always put my computer on standby mode (never actually powered off)and when I do that the errors go away.

I bought a 10 amp Filterlinc and put it on the powerbar that all the computer and related devices are plugged in to and it doesn't seem to do anything. The comm errors are still there and go away when the computer is in standby.

I don't understand what can be wrong.

Drew

Perhaps the monitor is the culprit.

The outlet is fine. I've replaced the outlet with a Decora not too long ago and checked my work with the tester.

I can move the computer to a different room.

I could just put it on an extension cord and run the cord to different outlets (easy to do) or should I move the actual computer? (bit of a pain)

Is the Filterlinc useless then?

Drew

I don't think using an extension cord (3-prong) would have any effect.

Archived