Are there "low impact' solutions for restoring keypadlinc

JimInWA

I have ISY99i, firmware UD99v.3.3.10, UI994v.3.3.9 and keypadlinc 2486 v6.0 1214

A few months ago the forum helped me program this keypad and another (v6.2 1304) in a 3-way application that works fine.

Last week I attempted to make a small change to the scenes but the keypadlinc v6.0 responds to "Write updates" with "cannot communicate... check wiring". I have a couple dozen dual band switchlincs and lamplincs all over the house. I can't think of anything that has changed electronically in the house, but that doesn't eliminate a device starting to fail and creating interference.

Since I only want to make a modest change to the scenes I don't want to do anything to the keypadlinc that would require complete reprogramming (the original 3-way programming still works fine).

So my question is, are there "safe" things I can do that won't erase the original programming. What does "restore device" do? What would "rebooting" do? Anything else to suggest. "Write updates to device" isn't working.

If you can't write to the device you have a noise or signal suck issue you need to resolve. You won't be able to do any changes to the device until you resolve that. It doesn't sound like you have any access points, I can't urge you enough to get some. The dual band switches (IMHO) are really useful where you have a group of switches on different circuits in the same gang box. WIthin that box wireless gives them a great way of further linking the network. They do not (again IMHO) have the range in many situations to act as a reliable access point replacement. I probably have 10 or so of them installed here in San Diego, I think I have something like 22 in Mexico (old wiring and 3 foot stone walls make for fun installs)

Restore device rewrites all the settings to the device that ISY tracks (the link table, state of the buttons [toggle or fixed on/off], etc.

I thought that the dual band LampLincs acted as access points. But not the last mistake I'll make. I'll order some.

Since the keypad is in 3-way communication with the other other keypad (a button pressed on one lights the corresponding button on the other) the communication issue is perplexing. I will try Restore now that I know it won't try to wipe out the original programming. The difference between Write Changes and Restore eludes me, but I'm going to try it.

Thanks

I thought that the dual band LampLincs acted as access points. But not the last mistake I'll make. I'll order some.

Since the keypad is in 3-way communication with the other other keypad (a button pressed on one lights the corresponding button on the other) the communication issue is perplexing. I will try Restore now that I know it won't try to wipe out the original programming. The difference between Write Changes and Restore eludes me, but I'm going to try it.

Thanks

Well to be fair they are supposed to act like access points, but given where they are typically installed they are very range limited. The keypad communication isn't that strange. You have three devices, the keypad, the second keypad, and the PLM. The two keypads can see each other (possibly via RF) but one can't see the PLM (or the PLM can't see it). WIth noise and signal suckers you tend to wind up with groups of close by devices working just fine (once programmed) but difficulty with devices far away (like I'm guessing the PLM) not seeing them.

As to Write Changes and Restore, write changes just tells the unit to try and write and queued up information to the device. Restore tells the system to queue up and fully reprogram the device. You shouldn't have to use that very often.

Archived