Garage Door programming question.

palmer082

I have just recently installed an Insteon Garage Door Controller Kit.(74551) and am having some difficulty programming it the way I want it to work. I have tried various configurations on my ISY with no luck. What I am trying to accomplish is this. When the garage door is closed I want the ISY, and a KeypadLinc to indicate OFF . When the garage door is open I want them to indicate ON. I also want to be able to open or close the door from the single button on the KeypadLinc. In other words if the KeypadLinc button is ON the garage door is open. I can tap the button and close the door and the button goes off. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

For the ISY to indicate I/O Linc Sensor Off when the door is closed the magnetic switch has to be changed from a Normally Closed (NC) that now comes with the garage kit to a Normally Open (NO).

The KeypadLinc button LED can be managed with an ISY Program to have the KPL button LED Off when the Sensor is On (door closed) but the Sensor state requires a different magnetic switch.

See this link for a Program that will manage the KeypadLinc button LED with the current NC magnetic switch.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12068&hilit=keypadlinc+button

The I/O Linc Relay should be in Momentary B mode for the I/O Linc Relay to respond to both an On and Off command from the KeypadLinc.

I had the same trouble and as recommended by some forum members I just went to Amazon.com and got a few of these (one for each garage door):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009SUF08/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These allow you both options and it was odd as i had to wire to the N/C and Common contacts on the relay. I guess the status refers to the relay status when not near the magnet. I used the new relay with the big gray magnet that came with the Insteon garage door kit. It is much more powerful and allows a wide gap between magnet and relay.

Works like a champ.

I had the same question just the other day and LeeG provided me with the following answer:

------------

If Control ‘iolinc – Sensor’ is switched On

Or Control ‘iolinc – Sensor' is not switched Off

Then

Set Scene ‘keypadlinc button C’ Off

Else

Set Scene ‘keypadlinc button C’ On

The above ISY Program turns KeypadLinc button C LED Off when the I/O Linc Sensor turns On and turns KeypadLinc button C LED On when the I/O Linc Sensor turns Off

-----

You need to create a Scene for the keypad button and set it as a responder.

The above worked great. I have an 8 buttone Keypadlinc in the master bedroom. I also wrote a short program the when you press the C key the door will open or close.

• 1 year later...

I'm trying to do a similar thing.  I don't have a key pad link.  I just installed the 74551 sensor and relay on the garage door.   Essentially when I open the garage door, I want my garage lights to turn on.  They are controlled by an Insteon 2477S switch.  I also have outside garage lights on an X-10 switch that I want to turn on.  I'm unsure of how to set it up so when the door opens it triggers everything.

This one works well for me -

If
        From    Sunset
        To      Sunrise (next day)
    And Status  '19.5C.D1-Sensor' is On

Then
        Set Scene 'Garage' 100%
        Wait  5 minutes
        Set Scene 'Garage' Off

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

This one works well for me -

If

From    Sunset

Then

Set Scene 'Garage' 100%

Wait  5 minutes

Set Scene 'Garage' Off

Else

I see a problem with this.  Let's say it's just after sunset and you arrive home, open the door, pull in and close the door.  I bet the lights stay on rather than turn off in 5 minutes.  This is because the status of the sensor changes to Off when the door closes, re-triggering the program and running Else before the 5 minute wait can timeout. Change 'Status' to 'Control' and then it should work as intended.

Additionally, you may want to add "Set Scene 'Garage' Off" to the Else section to force the lights off in the case where sunrise might occur during the 5 minute wait.

Hope this helps.

-Xathros

I guess I never noticed this. Maybe because when we come home, we usually don't shut the door right away. But I thought that after the "If" was true, it would move on to the "then" and not look at the "If" again. Why would a change in status make it look at the "If" again?

Thanks!

The Wait and Repeat statements allow the If clause to be reevaluated should a trigger condition change.

If

From    Sunset

Then
        Set Scene 'Garage' 100%
        Wait  5 minutes
        Set Scene 'Garage' Off

Else

Control is true at the instant that the device being queried changes state either manually or by a direct command. Status is true no matter how the state of the device is changed, for example, via a scene or even if the program itself changes the state.

Archived