Possible to send Number Keys to Keypad?

Stik

I am trying to replicate the Elk keypad on a smartphone for remote arm/dearm/monitoring/etc. I am able to remotely arm and dearm the alarm by sending the appropriate rest command and access code. I can activate function keys using rest commands. I would prefer that in order to dearm the system, the user send the appropriate numbers to the keypad (so that if the phone falls into the wrong hands, the security of our home is not jeopardized). Does anyone know if there is a means to activate the number keys on the keypad using rest commands?

Have you looked at any of the stand alone software to monitor the elk? There is ekeypad on iphone and mykeypad on android. I use android and there is a free version of mykeypad which works relatively well--does crash and restart here and there--but it gives you a virtual keypad. There is also a new program that just went up on google play but no trial version and no reviews.

Thanks for the relpy. I was considering eKeypad, but since I already have iRule and it seems to work controlling my other automation functions (both in ISY and Elk), I am trying to keep everything consolidated.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested in this as I would like to eventually transition to iRule as a central hub for my home automation.

Since you are currently an iRule user, I would send a note to them asking about Elk M1 integration. They may be working on an add-on or add to their development list if there is enough interest.

I'm interested in this as I would like to eventually transition to iRule as a central hub for my home automation.

Since you are currently an iRule user, I would send a note to them asking about Elk M1 integration. They may be working on an add-on or add to their development list if there is enough interest.

I have posed all of these questions to iRule support. The ISY-WS-SDK and ISY-WS-SDK-ELK API documentation are very clear as to what is required to get iRule to successfully communicate with ISY and ELK. It sounds like Michel has passed this information along to iRule as well. Despite all of this and the fact that I think they already have the capability to do so, I have not been able to get iRule to successfully subscribe to ISY services.

iRule has an ISY module which simplifies setting up ISY control but does not appear to incorporate subscription services. I have not implemented this module ($25 per handset). It appears you can implement all of the commands from iRule without the module. What I do know that it does do is provide sliders for controlling lighting which otherwise would not be available.

Here is what I have been able to do:

(1) Control and acquire feedback for both ISY and ELK completely through iRule utilizing the /rest interface. Unfortunately, this method requires sending a request in order to receive any feedback. The ISY will not automatically notify iRule of any change in state as it would if subscription services were utilized.

(2) Utilizing the above methodology you can do almost anything you might need with the ELK including ARM and DISARM functions. It is my understanding, however, that the user codes reside in the keypads themselves and the keypad doesn't have the ability to send numeric keys to the controller. As a result, it is not possible to send individual numeric keystrokes (other than function and special keys)to the control board to disarm. I am assuming that the other elk keypad apps are sending the full code after combining the keypress sequence in the app itself to the controller. I am not 100% confident of this and, hence, the original question I had posted.

I am still hoping somebody can add some suggestions for me how to overcome the subscription services or key press issues. Otherwise, the iRule-ISY would complement one another perfectly. Good luck,

Andy

Archived