Refurbished Insteon Modules.

Brian H

• 1 month later...

I almost bought some Insteon Modules in the Black Friday 20% Off sale.

Except the one module I may have wanted {Dual Band On/OFF Module} was one of three not covered.

Looks like they sold out all the 2456S3 ApplianceLinc as they are now gone from the sales pages.

The brand new units look scary enough when you take a look inside, like when viewing at the Fcc site.

I would not be anxious to go refurbed.

I had resorted to buying DB outdoor APLs up until the new on/off APLs came out. Since the new ones were not part of the 20% sale I instead added another Outdoor APL (replacing old SB Icons).

One request ; Can they make the power cord shorter yet :)

I always wounder how well a returned module can be tested.

If it had a problem that only showed up after hours of use. I doubt Smarthome would have tested them for a long period.

We saw refurbished X10 modules with similar problems before X10 WTI finally went belly up.

I always wounder how well a returned module can be tested.

If it had a problem that only showed up after hours of use. I doubt Smarthome would have tested them for a long period.

We saw refurbished X10 modules with similar problems before X10 WTI finally went belly up.

As far as I can tell there isn't a lot of QA on returns. I had two clients purchase a ISY-994 and the dual band PLM was indeed used! :evil: One had a personal sticker affixed to the top. :? While the other one had some black sharpy marker indicating the location? :shock:

Pretty sure the two clients were taken aback and pissed off.

They did receive a new one after calling into SH which sent them one via cross ship. To add insult to injury it took more than 45 days for a credit reversal on their CC, even though both of the items were sent back and received with in nine days. :|

Teken . . .

So here is a trick. Back when they were "blowing out" a bunch of lamplinc refurbs, I started the purchase process for two of them on my computer and then got distracted and didn't finish. I came back to that computer the next day with the purchase already started, but now SH was out of them. The website let me complete the purchase anyway since I had started it. SH initially didn't ship stating out of stock, then about a week later they shipped me brand new ones. I didn't do this on purpose, but it worked out to my benefit. I don't get the new warranty however.

So here is a trick. Back when they were "blowing out" a bunch of lamplinc refurbs, I started the purchase process for two of them on my computer and then got distracted and didn't finish. I came back to that computer the next day with the purchase already started, but now SH was out of them. The website let me complete the purchase anyway since I had started it. SH initially didn't ship stating out of stock, then about a week later they shipped me brand new ones. I didn't do this on purpose, but it worked out to my benefit. I don't get the new warranty however.

SH sold you a brand new device and only gave you the 30 day warranty? :?

Teken . . .

SH sold you a brand new device and only gave you the 30 day warranty? :?

Teken . . .

At the refurb price

• 1 month later...

I just picked up a 2563-222R. Refurbished Pair of Insteon Range Extenders.

Are a set of 2443 Access Points but are labeled slightly differently and may have been for an OEM Client.

Look brand new.

Short test. Both work with other 2443 Access Points.

Packed in a plain brown box not an Insteon Box with the air pack packing pillows. No manuals as indicated on the sales page.

Main label says Insteon Range Extender.

Top right side of the label. In smaller letters Model:2443

On bottom right side of the label "NOT FOR RESALE"

Small white sticker:

V2.A

I don't have any Digital Cameras or Smart Phones. So I don't have photos.

I checked both the Hardware 2.5 and 2.A 2443 Access Points and Hardware 1.5 main board in a 2413S PLM.

All three are the same board.

PowerLinc RF X13

2413X 20091217

P/N:200-87902000-023-9 V0

Date:20091217

The 2443 2.A has some added silk screening with the board manufacturers logo and a UL file number:

GF Logo RoHS

GF-01 94V-O

E246338

Both 2443's have the same information on their rear label:

ANSI/UL Std. 60950-1

CAN/CSA C22.2 #60950-1-03

Intertek 3017581

FCC ID: SBP2443A IC: 5202A-2443A

The V2.A Range Extender also indicated "NOT FOR RESALE".

The 2.A: 120VAC,60Hz,50mA,2W. I measured with my True RMS meter 49.5mA AC

The 2.5: 120VAC,60Hz,7W. I measured with my True RMS meter 46.7mA AC.

If it is a typo. It is Smartlabs not mine.

The V2.A says. 120VAC, 60Hz, 50mA, 2W

The V2.5 says. 120VAC, 60Hz, 7W

I checked one of my hardware V1.6 Access Points that used the older PowerLinc III board with a old fashioned power transformer.

The V1.6 says. 120VAC, 100mA, 60Hz.

My True RMS meter shows about 28.5mA AC.

For what it's worth, I tested 10 2476d's about 2 years ago on a killowatt. They used 7 watts total or .7 watts each. That was an average over 24 hours, though I got the same result at multiple measuring times, so they don't seem to have any fluctuation.

They have a power factor which is on the small side, so the current they consume does not translate directly into watts.

Brian,

I have a (V2.4) Access pt. that I measured via a Fluke 87 roughly the same RMS current as you measured.

I also dumped data from the Oscope into Excel and it gives about 1.6Watts.

What is most interesting is to see the relationship between current and voltage:

Demonstrates the power factor effects.

rms-power_access_pt.jpg

Archived