Replacement PLM no Longer Reports Device Status

dw16025

My PLM died after about 26 months. Purchased and installed a new one following the wiki instructions. Did a PLM restore. Everything works, except programs that respond to device status. I've looked at the event viewer and when I turn on/off a physical switch, no status is reported. (The ISY 994i is able to control the device fine.)

I've only got a count of 32 in the links table... I've tried restoring links to the affected devices. I've restored my ISY from the backup and again restored the PLM.

Is it possible the PLM is bad?

When the old PLM was still installed is it possible a Delete PLM was issued and some devices added afterward. It sounds like the ISY no longer has a record of the PLM links for all the devices.

It is unlikely the new PLM is defective.

When the old PLM was still installed is it possible a Delete PLM was issued and some devices added afterward. It sounds like the ISY no longer has a record of the PLM links for all the devices.

It is unlikely the new PLM is defective.

Definitely not, I read all the caution about Deleting the PLM when I did this. All I did was a backup and then Restore PLM initially. In all the troubleshooting, I've not issued a Delete PLM.

Thanks, that is good. Note that the reading and counting of PLM link records can be difficult. Any Insteon traffic that reaches the PLM during the Show PLM Links Table will make the display inaccurate and the subsequent Count wrong. Run the Show PLM Links Table and Count 3-4 times to be sure the same number is obtained.

How many devices are installed and how many of each type? That count could be correct for a relatively small install.

Pick a device that is in the fewest Scenes. Delete the device and add it back to the ISY. Does the Event Viewer at LEVEL 3 now show activity when the device is activated locally (paddle/button pressed). If not that suggests the problem is comm related as adding the device back will establish the necessary link records,

What ISY firmware is installed? What does Help | About show for Firmware and UI lines?

Thanks, that is good. Note that the reading and counting of PLM link records can be difficult. Any Insteon traffic that reaches the PLM during the Show PLM Links Table will make the display inaccurate and the subsequent Count wrong. Run the Show PLM Links Table and Count 3-4 times to be sure the same number is obtained.

How many devices are installed and how many of each type? That count could be correct for a relatively small install.

Pick a device that is in the fewest Scenes. Delete the device and add it back to the ISY. Does the Event Viewer at LEVEL 3 now show activity when the device is activated locally (paddle/button pressed). If not that suggests the problem is comm related as adding the device back will establish the necessary link records,

What ISY firmware is installed? What does Help | About show for Firmware and UI lines?

I ran the count a couple more times and keep getting 36.

I've got about 20 SwitchLincs, thee KPLs, a LampLinc, two ApplianceLincs... Maybe a couple others I'm not thinking of right now.

Running 4.0.5 on an ISY 994i.

I deleted a SwitchLinc and added it back -- now the status is properly reflected. Does that mean I have to delete each device and recreate all the scenes???

Thanks for the help.

I believe so. With multiple Restore Modem (PLM) commands not bringing back the missing PLM link records that indicates the ISY configuration data no longer has knowledge of many PLM link records. I'd suggest going to a previous ISY backup but that was already done.

You can try a Restore Device against another device that is not showing state changes. That would normally rebuild the individual device link database and the PLM link records for that device. Since the Restore Modem (PLM) did not bring back the PLM link records I do not expect a Restore Device to resolve an individual device. However, it is worth trying only to have tried "everything".

I believe so. With multiple Restore Modem (PLM) commands not bringing back the missing PLM link records that indicates the ISY configuration data no longer has knowledge of many PLM link records. I'd suggest going to a previous ISY backup but that was already done.

You can try a Restore Device against another device that is not showing state changes. That would normally rebuild the individual device link database and the PLM link records for that device. Since the Restore Modem (PLM) did not bring back the PLM link records I do not expect a Restore Device to resolve an individual device. However, it is worth trying only to have tried "everything".

I have several old backups from the ISY... In theory, I should be able to restore a backup and the restore the PLM, yes?

Yes. The older the backup the more the system will be out of date assuming the backups were taken because of system changes.

Devices, Scenes, Programs, etc will be at the old level. Remembering what has to be changed from the old backup level to bring the system to current level may be difficult. The unknowns may be worse than you have now. Likely need to Restore Devices (which does all devices) so the PLM and the devices are in sync. Otherwise the PLM links and the device links will not be in sync.

I restored a backup from March and everything seems to be working... My PLM link count is now 255. I am tempted to take another backup of the current state and then try restoring one more time from the backup I made before replacing the defective PLM.

Archived