Using Elk With Voice module

bcdavis75

Hi there. I'm relatively new to ISY but learning fast. I do not yet have an ELK system but I'm getting close to installing one.

I wanted to run one of my desired scenarios by the forum and make sure that what I want to do seems possible:

Essentially, I want to create a partition in the ELK system for outdoor proximity sensors. When armed, I want to write a program in the ISY such that if a proximity sensor is breached, a pre-recorded message will play on an ELK Voice module (http://www.elkproducts.com/product-cata ... ice-module)

I was thinking of having a pair of the voice modules with attached speakers outside the house and inside the house.

The idea being that if someone is in the yard that's not supposed to be there, they are alerted that they are being monitored (and maybe some lights come one blah blah blah). Inside the house, I'm alerted that there's "someone in the back yard" etc.

Note: I can't use sirens outside. I'm in a crowded neighborhood.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Yeah, you can do all of that. If the proximity sensors are going to be attached to the Elk and the Elk is going to do the talking, then that can all be done with Elk programming. ISY (with the Elk module) will also know if the proximity sensor violates and you can have ISY do anything ISY is capable of. I really don't know if the Elk Module for ISY is able to directly communicate with the Elk custom voice module since I don't have one. Certainly ISY can activate all the standard Elk voice commands directly, perhaps your custom stuff will show up in that same section. Worse case scenario if you are wanting ISY programs to trigger the voice instead of Elk "rules", then you can use a phantom output as a trigger. In other words, ISY turns one of the unused outputs on for a second and an Elk rule then does something when it sees the output turn on.

I have a similar set up but I didn't partition an area in my Elk. I basically set up outdoor wireless PIR motion sensors. These sensors are set to a 24 H Aux mode so they don't have any activity relative to my arming or disarming of my system. However, when motion is detected, I have them open a phantom output on the Elk for 30 seconds.

I then have a program running in my ISY that sees that open output and tells the Elk to speak "back door intruder detected". I have a similar one for the front door that speaks "front door visitor detected". I didn't want these to go off when I was in the back yard so I have other programs running that if I turn on the back yard light then it deactivates the voice program (and one that if I open my front door then it deactivates the front sensor program temporarily).

I also have additional programs that send me a txt that a visitor is at the front or back door. I did this with the Elk, ISY, and the Elk module. For the outdoor wireless sensor, I ended up getting a honeywell commercial grade motion PIR (and a honeywell wireless elk transmitter from RCS) because I wanted something very reliable (all of the insteon and other outdoor ones I tried had too many false alarms with small animals). The motion sensor is great but it was very pricey ($250 a piece).

• 2 weeks later...

Please note that the ISY/ELK integration works with the ELK M1 not the ELK-124. You need an ELK-M1, ELK-M1XEP, and the UD Elk integration software module. Once you have made this investment in hardware and software you can do ALL and so much more.

Hi there. I'm relatively new to ISY but learning fast. I do not yet have an ELK system but I'm getting close to installing one.

I wanted to run one of my desired scenarios by the forum and make sure that what I want to do seems possible:

Essentially, I want to create a partition in the ELK system for outdoor proximity sensors. When armed, I want to write a program in the ISY such that if a proximity sensor is breached, a pre-recorded message will play on an ELK Voice module (http://www.elkproducts.com/product-cata ... ice-module)

I was thinking of having a pair of the voice modules with attached speakers outside the house and inside the house.

The idea being that if someone is in the yard that's not supposed to be there, they are alerted that they are being monitored (and maybe some lights come one blah blah blah). Inside the house, I'm alerted that there's "someone in the back yard" etc.

Note: I can't use sirens outside. I'm in a crowded neighborhood.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Archived