Setting up singular 2443 Access Point

smorgasbord

New user/setup here. I just got my IOLinc and Motion sensor installed on the ISY by putting them in the same room as the ISY/PLM and linking them.

Now, the motion sensor (2842-222) will be going into the garage, which is pretty far from the ISY/PLM. So I bought an 2443 Access Point (just one) to plug-in in the garage so that it could receive the RF signal and send it to the PLM via powerline.

Is there any setup involved with putting the Access Point in the garage? It looks like I don't actually link it to the ISY. If I just plug it into an outlet in the garage how do I know that the ISY can see it? It's 50-50 whether plugging it into the garage will be on the same 110volt leg as the ISY's PLM, right? And, they're probably too far apart to talk RF to each other.

What should I do for best results? Now that my Motion Sensor is linked, when I move it how do I test to be sure that the ISY is hearing it from its new location?

Thanks in advance

Read the Access Point instructions in the User Guide for doing the 4 tap Set button test. This puts the Access Point into a test mode where it sends an RF signal for approx 4 minutes. Look at the LED on the side of the PLM. If in RF range the PLM LED will be blinking. The color of the PLM LED (green for opposite phase, red for same phase) shows whether the Access Point and the PLM are on the same phase. This is a test only situation. An Access Point is not linked or configured in any way.

To see if the Motion Sensor is being seen look at the Motion Sensor - Sensor node under the Admin Console. It will show the state changes as they are seen by the ISY/PLM.

If the only thing ever to be used is the Motion Sensor and the I/O Linc then setting up a single Access Point is okay. Seems unlikely that will be the end of the Insteon install when an ISY is involved. Two Access Points should be installed on opposite 120v legs to achieve coupling. Can achieve this with one Access Point and a 2413 PLM but now one location, the PLM is fixed, so placement of the Access Point is more critical because it is the only piece that can be moved around. The Access Point in the garage should be looked at as an RF receiver for the Motion Sensor, not part of the phase bridging process.

OK, thanks for clarifying that I can use the PLM as the other leg of the Access Point bridge. The instructions were written assuming you were doing this with two Access Points.

Where the ISY/PLM is located there are at least 2 different circuits, and power from the street goes into the garage first so I have lots of choices for Access Point location there. I'm sure I can find something were they are each on different phases. However, they are far enough apart that I don't believe the RF signal will reach from the ISY/PLM to the garage/Access Point - is that going to be a problem?

I also have a switched relay outlet and dimming switch to install in the house, and they are both dual-band so will they bridge as well?

BTW, I'm starting small because I'm expanding an older LiteTouch system (built my house in 1995 and wired it directly for LiteTouch at the time). My big usages will be several IOLincs so that I have new inputs into the LiteTouch system from Insteon devices (mostly PIRs & remotes), and can take outputs from the LiteTouch system to control new Insteon loads (like a new light that isn't wired into the LT system, and a recirculating pump motor that I don't to run continuously, and doing something with my 6 Honeywell 2-wire thermostats). I don't want to throw away the LIteTouch, but it's impractical to home-run new wiring and I don't think LT has the breath of powerline modules that I can get with ISY/Insteon.

"However, they are far enough apart that I don't believe the RF signal will reach from the ISY/PLM to the garage/Access Point - is that going to be a problem?"

The 4 tap Set button test will show if they are in RF range. If not in range will that be a problem, depends on the rest of the system. If the PLM is on leg A and the Access Point is on leg B then no coupling is occurring.

"I also have a switched relay outlet and dimming switch to install in the house, and they are both dual-band so will they bridge as well?"

The OutletLinc Relay is NOT Dual Band so it will not participate in coupling. The dimming switch (SwitchLinc Dimmer?) is Dual Band. If on the same leg as the PLM no coupling. The 120v leg each device is installed on indicates if they could participate in coupling. Note that a device installed in a wall will not have the range of an Access Point.

Run the 4 tap Set button test with the Access Point to see if in RF range of the PLM.

• 1 month later...

The 4 tap Set button test will show if they are in RF range. If not in range will that be a problem, depends on the rest of the system. If the PLM is on leg A and the Access Point is on leg B then no coupling is occurring.

Run the 4 tap Set button test with the Access Point to see if in RF range of the PLM.

I've just run this test (single Access Point and PLM) and the LED on the PLM is blinking 4-9 times Red and then once Green and that repeats. Does that mean it's barely in RF range?

My PLM is installed behind a couple of metal file cabinets on one outside wall of our ranch home,so I guess that doesn't help the RF coverage. I have to install another outlet that is more "out in the open" perhaps.

Archived