Many IOLincs versus EZIO?

smorgasbord

I have two cases where I need multiple contact closure outputs and sensor inputs:

1) I have 6 basic Honeywell round thermostats that use only 2 wires. Essentially when the two wires are connected I get heat; when they're not I don't. I want to replace this with a ISY/insteon based system that uses a 2441ZTH at each existing thermostat location and then drive contact closure via Insteon out of my ISY-994i.

2) I'm expanding the capabilities of my existing LiteTouch system. For instance, I'm adding motion detectors to have lights turn on automatically, and I've added dimming and appliance modules to have new loads controlled. To communicate between the two systems I'll be using contact closure/sensor.

In each case, my choices seem to be a bank of IOLincs or a couple EZIO40s or an EZIO8SA with another PLM (already have one for my ISY, of course).

Can anyone help me decide? Cost differences aside (6 IOLincs for the heating setup is about $300, but an EZIO8SA with PLM is about $230), is one configuration easier to program or more reliable via the ISY? In terms of hardware failure, is there any advantage to having the separate modules? Why does the EZIO8SA need a PLM, especially since I'm doing all the program logic in my ISY?

Any other alternatives I should consider? Note that I already have contact closure outputs and inputs on my LiteTouch system for interfacing, and there are not other cost-effective options available that I know of.

You could look at going with a small Linux computer, like a http://www.raspberrypi.org/ or a http://beagleboard.org/products/beaglebone%20black. It'd be more of a project to tie them into the ISY but should be doable with the right combination of software. The Pi is $35 and has 17 GPIO (General Purpose Input/Output) pins and the Beagle Bone Black runs $45 has can have up to 69 GPIO pins. In either case you'd connect in over the ethernet network and make network calls to the ISY to update variables.

The EZIO8SA uses the PLM to communicate and I believe store its Link Database. Through a serial connection from it to its PLM.

The smaller modules like the EZIO40 are built on the OEM Base PLM they buy from Smartlabs and they add their own Daughter Card to it.

I am using one of these:http://www.digital-loggers.com/din.html to control my pellet stove and provide remote power cycling of my ISY, Router and Cable modem when needed. The ISY controls this via network resource rules and I can log into this directly should the ISY become unresponsive. A bit more expensive than the Pi but it is a complete packaged solution with some additional capabilities and next to no programming necessary.

-Xathros

Hello smorgasbord,

If you decide to use an Insteon device/s I would recommend the EZIO8 rather than the bank of IOlincs.

Especially if the "bank" of IOlincs were to be located all in one area. One of the big advantages of an EZIO8 would be a single PLM "signal loading" of the power line at that point. Putting several IOlincs in one place would create a heavy "signal load" at that point.

If you are a tinkerer you might also take a look at the CAI WebControl8 board. You would need to add the case, power supply and perhaps relays to complete the project. The Webcontrol board offers 8 outputs as well as 8 inputs and has 1-wire temp capabilities as well and you can also control it via the web or with the ISY via Rest commands.

http://www.cainetworks.com/products/webcontrol/webcontrol-changelog.html

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I bought an EXIO8SA for communication to/from my existing Savant/LiteTouch system. I'll be using almost all of the inputs and many of the outputs.

For my heating needs, I decided to only control 2 of the zones, so I went with 2 IOLincs there. I'll have another IOLinc or two for communication with my security system, since I'm not yet ready to spend the bucks to upgrade the panel to an ELK. Thanks for all the ideas/suggestions.

My LiteTouch system has relays to which I'll be connecting the inputs on the EZIO8SA. So, it's basically just contact closure (some are rated up to 15 volts DC, some are rated up to 240 volts AC, but I won't have any power connected to them at all.

To which input(s) on the EZIO8SA should I be connecting? I have about 7-8 outputs I'd like to monitor. What does "high impedance" mean for this application?

If this is confusing. Please ask for more information.

The EZIO8SA has seven inputs. Four are Isolated with an optocoulper, two Analog/Digital {latest Manual says Analog and did not mention using it as a digital signal} and a 1-wire Temperature probe.

For your relays to activate the isolated ones. You will have to connect them to a voltage source.

You can connect I1+,I2+,I3+ and I4+ to the +12 volt connection on the EZIO8SA.

Then connect one side of a relay in your panel to I1-, same for the next three relays to I2-,I3- and I4-.

Then the other side of the four relays to GND.

That will turn on the isolated input when the relay closes and pulls the isolated - terminal to ground.

The AN1 and AN2 with a relay from your panel will need a 10K pull up resistor to an external voltage that is not avilable on the EZIO8SA. Manual says 3.3 volts for analog use. My older manual said +5 volts was OK for digital input use.

For AN1 and AN2 you can connect a pull up resistor to the + voltage source and then connect one side of the relay to AN1 and one relay to AN2.

Then both of the other sides of the relays to Ground.

In that case you are pulling AN1 and AN2 to common to detect a low.

Here is a link to the EZIO8SA's manual though this later one is not as clear as my older version one I have in my archives.

http://www.simplehomenet.com/Downloads/ ... -Start.pdf

I went to the Smartenit Wiki and looked for connections as pointed out in the latest EZIO8SA manual and found nothing.

Tried a search for EZIO8SA, Analog Input, Digital Input, Digital and Analog. No hits.

You may want to verify with Smartenit the AN1 and AN2 specifications. As the new and old manuals are different signal wise.

Archived