Linking over RF issues

KMan

Folks,

I think I have a faulty PLM (specifically that RF isn't working), but maybe I'm missing something. I'm new to Insteon, so it is quite possible that I'm missing something or don't understand.

I have PLM/ISY994i, 2 switchlincs, 1 LED bulb, 1 mini remote, 1 open/close sensor.

The PLM is PN 2413S, version v9B.

The problem I'm having is that neither the mini remote nor the open/close sensor will link with the PLM. The other 3 devices all linked quickly and easily, and I"ve seen no evidence of communication issues with the other devices.

I've tried linking the 2 RF only devices both with "Start Linking" and "New Insteon Device" ... looking in the event viewer at level 3, I see no activity when attempting to link.

I've tried moving the PLM to different locations and I've had the RF devices right next to the PLM when trying to link.

I did the 4 tap test on the PLM, and both switchlincs were blinking green ... not sure what that says about the RF capability of the PLM though.

To verify the mini remote and open/close sensor, I linked both successfully directly to a switchlinc and the LED bulb. So they appear to be functioning correctly.

Anything else I can try before sending the PLM back?

Thanks,

Kyle

Both of the problem devices are battery operated and go into a power saving mode. To save the battery life.

You have to wake them up before they can be added to the ISY setup.

I don't have either device. I believe the Set Button being held until the LED on it flashes wakes them up.

Both of the problem devices are battery operated and go into a power saving mode. To save the battery life.

You have to wake them up before they can be added to the ISY setup.

I don't have either device. I believe the Set Button being held until the LED on it flashes wakes them up.

Thanks, I've been holding the Set button in til the LED starts blinking to put them into linking mode (LED continues to blink for a few minutes). Is there something more I need to do?

I've tried both doing that before and after "Start Linking" on the ISY.

Start Linking is not used with those battery devices. Select New INSTEON Device. Enter Insteon Address, Name of choice and Device Type set to default Auto Discover. BEFORE clicking Ok put one of the battery devices into linking mode (as you described earlier). Click Ok. Be sure the battery device is near a Dual Band device that has good communication with the PLM (or is the PLM).

Once that device has been added to the ISY take it out of linking mode and repeat the process for the next battery device.

Archived