newbie product list

modex

I am as wet behind the ears as the isy user gets. I just purchased an isy994iz/ir. it has not arrived yet. I also purchased the dual-band modem. I plan on starting slowly and building over time...although I can already tell that this will likely become a bit of an obsession for me, if it is/can do all that I have read on it.

Is there anything else I need to get started? First I plan on using the isy as a universal remote for my AV system. I have verizon FIOS with a cable modem/router and a nexus router to augment the signal. I have a Pioneer non-smart Kuro TV, a Ps3 for blueray and Netflix, and, theoretically, gaming. I have a non-hd set top box for Verizon FIOS. I have three ipads, 1 macbook pro, and two Motorola Droid Razr Maxx phones that I would like to incorporate into the system.

Can someone give me a list of items I will need to purchase to get the capability of a universal remote for this system? Also, how much time should I anticipate it to take for initial setup? I have no computer programming knowledge, but learn almost anything quickly? have i bitten off more than I chew?

You are asking for a lot, but I like where you are going with all of this. I use roomie remote which is only for ios devices. It integrates very well with the isy. It can be used to control up controllable devices they have a compatibility list on their site. For non ip controllable devices you will need itach devices. That can take care of your av system and lights. Press a button, tv comes on, lights dim. Make sure to check out the smarthome forum where you can get great advice on devices for your whole house set up. Eric

Your mileage may vary, but:

I use a combination of Global Cache WF2IR and WF2SR units to control my AV gear and have been playing both with iRule and Roomie remote systems. I prefer to use a serial interface whenever possible and IR if a unit doesn't support serial. I don't know if either remote app works with Droid, I'm in the iPhone camp, but they look great on the iPad.

The learning curve is not shallow, but searches both on here and Google helped me find all the info I needed to get it all working.

Both apps address the Global Cache units directly, so the ISY isn't really involved for the AV control, but it will respond to 'Activity' buttons from either app.

ie, "Movie" Activity

-Turn on TV (command to Global Cache)

-Turn on DVD (command to Global Cache)

-Set TV input to DVD (command to Global Cache)

-Open DVD tray (command to Global Cache)

-Dim Lights (command to ISY)

You can also have the ISY setup to control devices as well, for instance turning everything off when you arm you alarm away, 'goodnight' button on a KPL shutting off the entertainment system, etc.

Thank you both for your quick responses. I can tell that I have a whole new language to speak.

Steigs: does this mean i have to purchase global cache devices, if so which kind and how many? I was under the impression that the hub had ir, bluetooth, rf, and wifi built into it. but maybe my understanding is still so minimal that I am imagining that to mean something other than it actually does.

does this mean i have to purchase global cache devices, if so which kind and how many?

You don't have to, but it is one way to do it. It was my easiest route.

Look at the back of each of your devices.

If it has a serial port, use a GC Serial unit. (I chose WiFi, but wired may work for you)

If there's no serial port, go with a GC IR unit. Again, WiFi or wired, depending on your setup.

If it has an ethernet jack, then you can just place it right onto your network.

The GC units just do conversion, basically they're a 'bridge' to turn a non-networkable device into a networkable one..

I was under the impression that the hub had ir, bluetooth, rf, and wifi built into it. but maybe my understanding is still so minimal that I am imagining that to mean something other than it actually does.

It has IR and IP (With the purchase of the network module)

You certainly could use the IR for control, but my ISY is in a different room and I found it easier to just add a GC device to each AV component.

My ISY deals primarily with lighting and automation, so I don't really have it involved in my AV control. However, it is set up with the same codes as my remotes so I have the option of it firing off commands if it's useful in a program or scene.

I don't have any experience with using IR control from my ISY yet, so I can't speak to how it works.

I accidentally bought a itach flex wifi instead of the wired. I ended up keeping it then adding the wired version. However, I began to have problems with the wifi version that was supposed to be fixed with a firmware upgrade. Global cache swapped out my wifi for a wired version, I paid shipping. Both wired versions work great. I did get houselinc to send commands to one itach. Now that I am on the ISY I am thinking about the network module, but don't think I need it.

If you use serial then an itach can only control one device. With IR, you can control many more although maybe not as well. I have one itach that controls a tv, cable box via IR in one room with a feed thru the wall to control the tv an soundbar in the next. The Tivo, and WDTV live hub are both IP controllable.

I dont think the ISY is intended to run you AV equipment. You will get a lot more function with customizable remotes with Roomie.

With IR, you can control many more although maybe not as well.

Absolutely, I forgot to mention that. The IR unit has three outputs on it, or you can use a 'blaster' to cover multiple items.

In my case I have one serial component, one IR component and one network component so I use dedicated GC units.

The nice thing about serial control is that it offers two-way communication so things like volume level and power status can be correctly indicated on the remote.

can i use any serial wire with the gc or do i need special ones? I recall seeing something about smart wires...but dont have a clue what they are.also is the gc-100-12 different from the gc-100-18 other than in the size? is that just so it is uniform with a rack? and can i add rack mounts later if i want?

can i use any serial wire with the gc or do i need special ones?

It depends on the device you're connecting to. Some will use a 'straight through' cable while others will require a 'crossover'.

The device documentation should tell you.

also is the gc-100-12 different from the gc-100-18 other than in the size? is that just so it is uniform with a rack? and can i add rack mounts later if i want?

Others can chime in on the GC-100 series or search around a bit over at cocoontech.com.

I use the iTach devices in my system.

Archived