Safe Mode

Mikes

I've had my small 994i controlled system running fine for a few months. Today I was attempting to separate the 2413S PLM from the 994i with a 20 foot ethernet cable so that I could get it out into my living room such that I can use my IR remote to control devices.

All I could get was Safe Mode coming up on 994i, I went back to my original setup, PLM beside 994i with short cable and I still get Safe Mode. After reading here and resetting and such the 994i RX led continues to stay on.

I've ordered a new PLM based on the RX light staying on, in the meantime 3 questions.

1) Is there anything else I can do/try?

2) How long of an ethernet cable can I use between the devices?

3) What is the proper way to bring a new PLM online?

When the PLM is returned to the original location was the ISY rebooted? PLMs do not tell applications they are there when plugged in so the ISY needs to be rebooted.

The connection between the PLM and ISY is a Serial port connection, not Ethernet. In theory the max for a serial port connection is 50' but I would not try that distance. The shorter the better, in the neighborhood of a few feet is best.

There is a section in the UDI Wiki for replacing a PLM. I doubt your PLM is defective. See this link for the UDI Replace PLM description.

http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index ... _.28PLM.29

I rebooted the ISY a number of times as well as reset PLM also made sure PLM was plugged in and hooked to ISY during reboot.

The ISY manual says RX light on steady is most likely PLM or cable and I've tried alternate cable.

If you don't think it is the PLM what else can I do?

I agree and I did some more investigation and discovered that I put a CAT5 connector on 'upside down' on one end of the cable I made up for the extension. Dumb mistake but I don't make them up to often and know that normal network interfaces are forgiving of these kinds of screw ups. I had also forgot that ISY to PLM is not a 'network' but serial connection and I'm going to guess that fried something.......I hope it was just the PLM.

It couldn't be a worse time for me as we are coming into the coldest spell we've had in almost 20 years. I use the ISY to control circulation fans in my house....had to dig out some of the old timers I thankfully still have.

Correct, I put everything back with original cable and even tried a second cable with reboots on both devices. Unless somebode can give me some more ideas all I can do is wait for a new PLM.

Being quite green with these devices any idea if a PLM is any good as a repeater or phase coupler? i.e. making an assumption I blew the serial interface on the PLM and the 110 interface still works. If it would serve useful on the 100 side of things how could I test that?

Thanks for any ideas.

Archived