If I have all dual band Insteon devices...

If I have all dual band Insteon device, why would I need filters?

That is, I'm trying to set up an Insteon network using all new equipment (purchased within the last month). I just ordered five filters to put on battery backups and surge suppressors, as I'm having a hard time getting an Insteon system working correctly. I now have two access points, one switch, and two on/off modules in the system (all are dual band). The ISY finds the switch and two on/off modules (gave errors but found them anyway) but refuses to find two motion sensors, even when I bring the motion sensors right next to the (dual band) PLM.

1) Why do I need filters on battery backups and surge suppressors/power strips (I would assume these only affect X10 and not wireless signals or at least the filters only improve X10 and not wireless) if I have dual band devices? That is, isn't the point of wireless to not have to be concerned with noise on the power wires?

2) I also ordered another set of (dual band) access points. Assuming I add two more access points, that brings me to four. Assuming I'm still having trouble communicating (error I'm getting is "could not determine Insteon engine" or something similar) once all these devices are installed, what else can I do to improve communcations?

3) Will the network become more reliable as I add additional dual-band devices (I have at least 10 Insteon switches to install)?

4) Did I make a mistake buying Insteon and perhaps should've gone with a competitor (e.g., Z-wave)? I've spent over a thousand dollars (including ISY 994i pro) and haven't been impressed, though I also don't have much installed yet.

I had an Insteon x10 only system with an old (really old) ISY in my previous house and threw away several filters, as I never needed them. I had as many battery backups and surge suppressors/outlets there as I had in this "new" house. I had a pretty simple system there, only a handful of devices, and they all worked. I never had a problem. Yet, in this new house, I can't even get a simply system up and running reliably and I have all wireless/X10 devices. The wireless should improve reliability, shouldn't it?

ctviggen1

Regarding the Motion Sensors, it must be manually put into linking mode by pressing its Set button until the Red LED blinks continuously. Then use New INSTEON Device, enter Insteon address, Name of choice, Device Type as default Auto Discover. Once one motion sensor is added to the ISY take it out of linking mode before repeating process for new motion sensor.

There are obviously tons of different variables, but as a data point I've recently moved into a new place so started from scratch with new Insteon stuff. I have around 50 devices installed so far and everything is dual-band with the exception of some wireless only devices (thermostats, leak sensors, motion sensors, and mini switches) . I have no access points or filters and so far haven't had a single issue. I'd actually planned on adding them at some point, but now I don't see a reason to in my setup.

Filters are required because some things in your home may be signal suckers or noise makers. Dual Band devices are no guarantee the Insteon signal will be received.

Using AP's to bridge the two sides of the electrical feed is the best thing you can have on site and installed in your network. Note, proper coupling of the electrical system needs to be confirmed via the 4 tap test outlined in the users manual.

Teken . . .

Archived