Link OutletLinc Outlet in ISY

Steve Vollstedt

I installed an INSTEON OutletLinc On/Off Outlet, Model 2473S, and tested that it turned the load on and off as it should when I pressed the Set button on the OutletLinc device.

Then I tried to set up the OutletLinc device in my ISY system by doing the following:

Select “Link Managementâ€

Then, select “New INSTEON Deviceâ€

Then, fill out the window as shown below:

Then, select “OKâ€

The “New INSTEON Device†window goes away but I don’t get any messages that linking is happening. I just get my normal list of devices with status, etc. and the new device “Landscape Lights†is not listed.

I have linked the OutletLinc device to a Mini Remote and tested that the OutletLinc device responds appropriately to the Mini Remote by turning the OutletLinc responder on and off using the Mini Remote as the controller. They work together like they should.

Why is this new OutletLinc device not showing up in ISY after I go through the process of setting up the device in my ISY system following the Link Management process?

I added mine by using Link Management -> Start Linking instead, then pressed and held the set button on the outlet until the LED flashed.

It showed up immediately in the list-box which came onscreen after the first step above. Give that a try instead, and see if it works?

OK... on ONE of the outlets I installed, I had to pull it out of its junction box and let it "hang" there while doing the linking. Not sure why, probably a reception issue, but it did link once I did that.

And once it linked properly, I put the outlet back into the junction box, and it works for on/off just fine. Give that a shot maybe?

I just tried the suggestion made by TheSidewinder but it did not work for me. The OutletLinc device still does not show up in ISY's list of devices???

This sure sounds to me like the location is unable to communicate with the PLM. Try placing the outletlinc on an appliance cord and plugging that in near the PLM.

Do you have any access points bridging the phases of your electrical system?

-Xathros

See if the Insteon address of the OutletLinc is already defined to the ISY. With no error messages it sounds like the Insteon address is already defined. Click on My Lighting/ISY to display list of all devices. Click the Address column heading to sort by Insteon address.

If that is not helpful run Tools | Diagnostics | Event Viewer at LEVEL 3. Repeat the New INSTEON Device and post the event trace.

I performed the steps suggested by LeeG with the following results:

I determined that the device address was not included in the list of devices defined within ISY.

I did the Diagnostics Event Viewer at Level 3 after going through the process of attempting to set up New INSTEON Device. There did not appear to be any log entries of the attempt to set up the new device. The event trace log is attached.

Another thing that happened is I got an error message that said "Discovering Nodes; Retry!". I pressed "OK" and that message went away.

The Discovering Nodes message usually means the Start Linking function was initiated and the Finish button on the popup that displays in response to clicking Start Linking was not clicked. If the popup did not display the first time Start Linking is clicked that usually means the AV/firewall is blocking the push of data from the ISY to the Admin Console. If the Start Linking popup did display what AV is being used?

The ISY must be rebooted to clear a Start Linking that did not result in a popup the first time Start Linking is clicked.

PROBLEM SOLVED - THANK YOU!

I rebooted my modem, router & ISY controller. I then rebooted my computer, then dialed the Kaspersky firewall, and then successfully set up the device using Link Management - Link INSTEON Device functionality.

It is not clear to me if the fix was rebooting the ISY controller, disabling the firewall, rebooting the other equipment, or maybe something else. Nonetheless, the issue has been corrected and I appreciate your help.

There should be something on this forum about that. There was some activity a few weeks/months ago when a new Kaspersky update was released. I use another AV package so did not pay attention to what had to be done, only that there was something required.

• 2 months later...

I had the same problem, and talked to support. This is what he told me to do, and it worked!

Run an extension cord from the bottom receptacle of the outletlinc (the one that is always on) to the PLM that is connected to the ISY (yeah, I ran it from the bedroom all the way to the basement where my router, modem, and ISY are).

Go to the Administrative Console and Link Management and Start Linking.

I guess it was too far to establish a link, but close enough to work once linked.

Good luck!

Archived