SL Dimmer and CFL's

Zellarman

I've used a togglelinc dimmer to control a dimmable CFL. Seemed to work OK. I've not used it long term though because I couldn't get the color/temperature in a dimmable CFL that I like. There may be some settings at the lower end where the dimmable CFL just turns off instead of dimming further.

I bought a few so call dimmable CFLs from HD to use with my switchlincs a few weeks ago and I already bought some incandescent replacements.

The color of the light is terrible and annoying, but even worse they only seem to have like 8 dimmable levels, compared to like 100 of incandescent. The other problem is that when turned on at first they take a few minutes to get to full brightness.

Overall, they don't work in my house and although I'd love to save money on electricity, they just aren't worth it.

I think those are all common complaints. I think manufacturers need to improve the technology, or find another (like LED) - or customers simply won't buy into it.

I use CFLs in a few areas (closets, hallways, garage, etc..) - but as much as I tried to, I can't get used to CFLs in main living areas.

I have tried using CFLs from the onset. I did not like the "warm white" and the time it required for these night lites to get brite was totally unacceptable. It even got worse as they grew a little older!! Thankfully they have made the daylight (6500K) versions available now in most wattages. I have replaced all of the CFLs in the garage and various work areas with these. Otherwise we use incandescent or halogens on dimmers!

I use led based lights in most of my outdoor lighting. The led spot lights still need a lot of work, but the led technology is really coming along!

• 6 months later...

I picked up some of the new CCFL Cold Cathode Bulbs.

Litetronics Microbrite

MB-543DP 5 watt

MD-800DP 8 watt

Yes for now any higher wattage CCFLs are not common and the few I saw with a higher wattage where priced out of this world.

They start with no warm up and dim quite nicely. Some also can be flashed like in signs.

I will try some tests with my Switchlinc dimmer models.

Will have to be on my test bench as all my installed ones in the house are the relay type for my older CFL bulbs. Also they are of a very early age as I got them when Insteon was just starting out.

Archived