insteon noob setup questions

dgeist

So, I'm an engineer but am brand-new to insteon and my ISY994 system. I just got my first pair of switchlink 2477D dimmers and installed them in my dining room. I wired one to control the load and the other as a a simple remote on the same branch circuit. The first worked immediately and flawlessly. The second worked after performing the group "pairing" with the little buttons on the units.

Now, I want to start setting up my dual-band PLM that I bought and the ISY. Well, networking and java issues were there, but not hard, and I learned the hard way that you have to power the ISY with the serial cable from the PLM plugged in. Now I'm getting info on the PLM in the diagnostic tools menu of the admin console, but the "New Insteon Device" dialog keeps failing. I'm using the hex digits off the front of the units, selecting 2477D from the pull-down, and putting in a readable name (like "DR Dimmer 1") in the name field, but it just goes for 30 seconds and gives me a failure code "Error Discovering nodes; Retry;" Am I doing something wrong here? Where do I even start troubleshooting. It's not like there's a "getting started setting up a few basic devices" Howto that I can find. It's really frustrating for someone who just needs a decent set of instructions.

Thanks

Dan

The PLM could be on one phase and the SwitchLincs on the other. Has the 4 tap set button test been run to see if the PLM reaches the SwitchLincs over RF?

Also note that when the SwitchLincs are added to the ISY select the first option that erases existing links. Set button linking should not be done as the ISY does not know about them. Once the Insteon network is operational create an ISY Scene and cross-link the devices that way.

The PLM could be on one phase and the SwitchLincs on the other. Has the 4 tap set button test been run to see if the PLM reaches the SwitchLincs over RF?

Also note that when the SwitchLincs are added to the ISY select the first option that erases existing links. Set button linking should not be done as the ISY does not know about them. Once the Insteon network is operational create an ISY Scene and cross-link the devices that way.

The phase issue is entirely likely. It's a new home and I don't have an accurate mapping, but I think those two are right next to each other in the panel (i.e. opposite phase). What is the "4 tap set button test"?

Thanks.

Dan

Tap the Set button on the PLM 4 times. This puts the PLM into an RF test mode for 4 minutes. It sends a test RF message during the 4 minutes. The Dual Band devices that receive the test RF message will blink and the color of the blinking indicates whether the receiver is on the same or opposite phase. Check the User Guide for the receivers to see how they react when receiving the test message. If the test is reversed the PLM LED blinks Red when receiving the test message from a device on the same phase, blinks Green when receiving the test message from a device on the opposite phase.

The best way to couple phases is with a pair of Access Points. In wall Dual Band devices do not have the same range and if in a metal box the RF range is even less.

If blinking consistently and Red the PLM is reaching the SwitchLinc over RF and on the same phase.

The Discovering Nodes message indicates at one point Start Linking was initiated and the Finish button on the Start Linking popup was not clicked to complete Start Linking. Was a Start Linking popup displayed when Start Linking was selected?

That is the problem. When Start Linking was clicked a popup should display. Without that popup there is no Finish button to end Start Linking. The lack of popup normally indicates an issue with AV/firewall. What AV is being used?

The probable AV issue has to be solved first. Then the ISY must be rebooted to clear Start Linking.

As a followup, is there any benefit to the plug-in bridges vs something like the SignaLinc TM V2 Hardwired (220v on a double-pole breaker)? I'd prefer something hard-wired and it seems to be cheaper, too. Doing the electrical work is a non-issue for me.

Thanks.

Dan

I prefer the use of Access Points as they couple at maximum signal strength. The wired coupler is passive, placing the signal on the other phase at whatever reduced signal strength the message arrives with. Also noise can be coupled to the other 120v leg.

Some folks put the Access Points near the power panel although that can reduce general RF coverage for battery devices.

Good information here. Another (off-topic) followup: If I have the dual-band PLM from insteon (2413S), I would assume it already serves the function of a bi-directional and dual-band active repeater, right? So, if I have it an also an AP located nearby on the other leg of the electrical service, that would be functionally the same as two APs?

I'm mostly just trying to simplify the installation where possible and not have 50 little wall-warts all over the place if I can avoid it.

Dan

Archived