Compatibility with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, OR Not?

I have a well operating Insteon system including ISY994i, mainly for house light control and monitoring. I am investigating upgrading my pool pump to a Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump. I learned that the Hayward Ecostar VS pump has "automation" compatibility issues from their literature. But, I have not seen such a comment in the Pentair Intelliflo literature. I am seeking any experience others may have on the specific question of Insteon/Intelliflo compatibility.

Just to be clear, my intent is simply to have the Intelliflo pump replace my existing single speed pump in order to save energy and related costs, and to operate in its stand-alone configuration and programming. I am NOT intending to use Insteon to control the Intelliflo pump, at least not initially. I want to be sure of two things: 1) that the Intelliflo pump does not propogate noise or other signals out that could contaminate my well running Insteon system in the house; and 2) that the Insteon system does not propogate signals that would cause the pump to not operate according to its stand-alone programming. In short, I don not want to have any problems if I change pumps.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone with experience on this question.

Thanks

I changed my pump to the VS at the end of last season... I too would love to hear from people who have successfully integrated this with their automation system.

I would love to be able to adjust speed etc. via the ISY based on time, temp, usage, etc.

/subscribing

WetCoastWillie,

Do you have a Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump running in the same environment as your Insteon System :?:

If so, have you encountered any issues when the pump is operating, such as Insteon or Pump not operating properly :?:

I will provide in a separate post some thoughts to answer your question on remote control of the Intelliflo pump

Regards,

WetCoastWillie,

Regarding Remotely controlling Intelliflo using Insteon, I have not specifically been investigating that. Intelliflo documentation shows it has an RS-485 serial interface for implementing remote control. That requires an additional piece of hardware, but none of the commercially available options that I have glanced at talk specifically to Insteon (my glancing was not exhaustive).

One solution might be using the Pentair Intellicomm Communications device installed close to the pump, together with an Insteon EZIO8SA. Four Insteon IO outputs, wired into the Intellicom box, could then control the pump. That would enable whatever degree of "remoting" you have with your Insteon system (IPhone, Android, PC, ISY, etc.), but of course also within the constraints of the pump's response capabilities to the Intellicomm (such as turn on/off various speeds). This scheme might require some additional hardware, such as a small power supply to satisfy the Intellicom Input voltage range, and a weather proof enclosure.

With an ISY program controlling the EZIO8SA, that opens the door for more sophisticated software control, such as scheduling cleaning, filtering, etc. which could be based on other inputs you might implement (time, temperature, etc.).

Just some food for thought. I hope it helps.

WetCoastWillie,

Do you have a Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump running in the same environment as your Insteon System :?:

If so, have you encountered any issues when the pump is operating, such as Insteon or Pump not operating properly :?:

Hi,

I switched out the pump the last week of the pool season so only for a short while, but yes, all of the lighting at the Bar, Deck, pool etc are Insteon and I had no issues with either the pump or lights behaving strangely in the short time I was running with the new pump.

Cheers!

Matt

WetCoastWillie,

Regarding Remotely controlling Intelliflo using Insteon, I have not specifically been investigating that. Intelliflo documentation shows it has an RS-485 serial interface for implementing remote control. That requires an additional piece of hardware, but none of the commercially available options that I have glanced at talk specifically to Insteon (my glancing was not exhaustive).

One solution might be using the Pentair Intellicomm Communications device installed close to the pump, together with an Insteon EZIO8SA. Four Insteon IO outputs, wired into the Intellicom box, could then control the pump. That would enable whatever degree of "remoting" you have with your Insteon system (IPhone, Android, PC, ISY, etc.), but of course also within the constraints of the pump's response capabilities to the Intellicomm (such as turn on/off various speeds). This scheme might require some additional hardware, such as a small power supply to satisfy the Intellicom Input voltage range, and a weather proof enclosure.

With an ISY program controlling the EZIO8SA, that opens the door for more sophisticated software control, such as scheduling cleaning, filtering, etc. which could be based on other inputs you might implement (time, temperature, etc.).

Just some food for thought. I hope it helps.

Thanks, I'll look into the EZIO8SA.

You are correct that the pump comes with a long serial cable interface that wires into a remote interface, I was hoping someone had already done all the "homework" in interfacing it with their HA system.

I did look briefly at the Pentair remote setup but it was end of the season so it was on the "when I have a moment" list. I'll have another look.

I'm also looking to at evacuated solar tubes for heating so maybe tie the control of that all in together.

PS. sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread :oops:

WetCoastWillie,

Matt, your reply indicating no interference between your Insteon network and the Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pool pump is much appreciated. This certainly increases my confidence that if I proceed to install that model pump that things should also be fine in my environment, I have received a similar confirmation from another such user, so this provides two confirming data points. I will make the final decision very soon.

Thanks so much,

Phil

After much investigation and speaking to what appeared to be knowledgeable technical folks on the Hayward Ecostar, I concluded there was a high probability of interference between that pump and Insteon. My focus then turned to the alternative Pentair Intelliflo pump.

I acquired information from Pentair customer service stating that I should not encounter interference with their pump. That was one data point. I then found and communicated with two U-D forum members that had installed the Pentair Intelliflo pump in their Insteon environment and both stated they had no interference. So, with three data points, I felt confident enough and proceeded to purchase and have installed the Intelliflo this past week.

I have not observed any Insteon-Intelliflo interference. :) Both Insteon system and the Intelliflo pump are operating normally.

Archived