Access Point testing

m6bigdog

I discovered when I put the Access Point in setup mode (press set button quickly 4 times) not only do the other Access Point LED blink to indicate phase but most of the installed Dual-Band (2477D&S) switch LEDs blink red or green and I anticipate they are also indicating the phase they are installed on.

I indicated most switches blink because several of the KeyPad Dimmer (2334-222) switch LEDs are not blinking at all and those that do are only blinking green. I have more work to do to ring out the possible issues.

I have installed 30+ Insteon dimmers & switches in home with all metal electrical boxes, 3 load centers, miles if romex and I anticipate I am having intermittent communication issues with a few the more distant Dual-Band switches and Micro Dimmers.

I had 2 Access Points installed and will be adding 4 more.

I decided the best place to start before adding Access Points is to pull all but one Access Points and reinstall Access Points based on the testing the communication between the first Access Points in setup mode and the response of the installed switches would be a good start.

However, I have yet to find any documentation in the Dual-Band switch or Access Point manuals that confirms my observation that the Dual-Band switches will confirm phase with the first installed Access Point in setup mode.

Also, if what I am observing is the confirmation of communication between the Access Points and the installed switches this would be a great test method to confirm evidence of system communication between Access Points, switches and which phase they are installed.

Any others observe this phase indication by the Dual-Band switchs?

Is there an Insteon document or Guru Guideline I have overlooked that documents the procedures or test method for communication between Access Points and Dual-Band switches?

The User Guide for the Dual Band Relay SwitchLinc on page 12 under Phase Detect Beacon covers the response to the 4 tap test. The User Guide for the KeypadLinc Dimmer on page 17 discusses Phase Detect Beacon but not with the same detail.

EDIT: The KeypadLinc Relay 6 button also covers the information on page 17. Also not with same detail as the SwitchLinc Dual Band Relay.

Archived