Possible to Convert 6-Button KeyPad to 7-Button?

Rich33

Hi. I have a 6-Button Keypad dimmer model 2334. I believe I can convert it to an 8-button keypad but I'd really like to convert it to a 7-button keypad by leaving the large button on top as is and only converting the bottom large button to two smaller buttons. Is this possible? Thanks.

Stu the moderator in the smarthome forum has posted pics of his 4 button kpl. To make a 7 button you will need to put the kpl in 8 button mode, a thru h. I think you will need an 8 button frame. He "cross links" adjacent buttons so for your case a controls b and vice versa. Essentially make sure that a and b are both controllers and responders of the same scenes. Apparently the wide button will will snap into the 8 button frame. If you do this please post a pic.

Eric

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay. This turned out to be very easy to do.

First, as indicated above the wide button installs over adjacent smaller buttons so physically it is as simple as snapping the wide button in place. One thing I didn't like about this though is that the backlighting was not uniform across the wide plate because of the two smaller frames. To get around this I cut the inside frames with wire cutters and then installed the large clear lens for stability before installing the button. These pictures make this a littler clearer.

Original Frames

New 7 button frame after cuts

Once the frame is installed all you need to do is cross-link the adjacent controls that you want to act as one so that both are controllers and responders to the same scenes.

I hope this helps.

post-6430-140474163315_thumb.jpg

post-6430-140474163317_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I converted my 8-button to 7 this weekend. Pretty quick and simple.

However, with the rail missing across the top and bottom the large button has a tendency to pop off. Have you experienced that? How did you resolve it?

I'm going to try a piece of double-sided Scotch tape to see if that resolves the issue.

Hi. No, I have never had a problem with the button popping off. I did insert a double clear lens for rigidity though. I used one of the lenses from the 6 button frame for this. I would try that if you're not already doing doing so. I hope that helps.

Archived