Can’t Communicate errors

I was hoping someone could give me some tips on “Can’t Communicate†with Insteon devices. I have about 40 Insteon switches/plugs , 2 EZIO8 I/O modules, 5 2441ZTH Thermostats 2 Insteon IOLinc, ELK Gold Panel and ISY994i. I controlling the HVAC, Humidity, Alarm system, Pool, landscape lighting, backup Power Generator and irrigation. Lots of little programs. The issue I have is I get Can’t Communicate errors, which leaves outputs left on or off which is very bad when I am running irrigation or HVAC and pool. I have moved my IS99I PLM right next to the Electrical panel which has helped, I have a bridge to cross the power phases. The errors in the event viewer are of the end point device. I can simply go to the admin console and recover from the error but it leaves things in the wrong state. Is there a way to make the ISY99 keep trying to communicate with a device until it is successful?

Simple answer is no. That could result in an endless retry process.

What type of device(s) is used to couple. A pair of Access Points are best, Dual Band devices next, passive coupler last because it does not provide a full signal on the other 120v leg.

Any particular pattern as far as time, electrical circuit, etc?

Have problem appliances been isolated with FilterLincs?

I am using a SignalLinc Phase Coupler, hard wired right at the electrical panel. No particular pattern with the errors, sometimes it run great for days and then starts acting up. I would think with the number of Insteon switches I would have a pretty good network mesh going. I will purchase 2 Access points and give that a try.

The Access Points will provide better coupling. The hardwired coupler takes the signal at whatever level it is received and places that signal on the other 120v leg. If the signal has been received at a lower signal level that lower level is how the Insteon message starts out on the other 120v leg. Access Points may not resolve all comm problems but they are one step in creating a good Insteon message environment.

Ordering a few FilterLincs would also be a good idea. It is rare that no devices need filtering.

Archived