Passing Variables to Network Resources

pdxcav

After spending the past month doing quite a bit with Network Resources (using Prowl and Sonos), one of the things that I find really inconvenient is that I have to create multiple network resources where only one piece of info is different (for example, the URI to a song or the message string to Prowl). For example, if I want to report which window/door is open, I not only have to have a program for each window & door, but also a specialized network resource (for Prowl) where the only thing that is different is the window/door name (string). Same case with Sonos...if I want to play a specific song (or in my case recorded audio like "The basement door is still open", I need to create unique programs to play these and unique network resources. It would be easier if we could pass a string to the network resource so the same one could be used over.

Thanks

Eddie

The next generation of firmware is supposed to allow for this as well as much more in terms of variable usage. UDI has said they will begin with the 5.X branch once they have a final 4.2.X release. The final 4.2.X is expected in the very near future.

There are a great many of us looking for exactly the same thing as you.

-Xathros

Archived