error message: cannot determine Insteon engine

espann

All battery powered devices must be manually put into linking mode with their Set button before using New INSTEON Device to add them to the ISY. Be sure it is in range of a Dual Band device.

Hi Lee. I pressed the set button on the motion sensor then pressed link motion sensor but still got the message "following devices could not be added:2d.3e.42 Cannot determine Insteon engine" and then it doesn't appear in the tree.

Is the Red LED in the device blinking after pressing Set button?

If so it sounds like it is not in range of a Dual Band device.

Yes the red light is blinking, when I press the set button, but isn't it supposed to? Wait, now after the umpteenth time it did "discover" the motion sensor, after I pressed the set button, it did add it to the tree, but after that it says "cannot communicate with device"

The Motion Sensor will timeout of the manual link after approx 4 minutes so that is a possibility. Also the motion sensor must not have good comm at its current location since it took several attempts to get the device to add.

Any attempt to read or write the motion sensor options requires the device be put into linking mode first.

The Motion Sensor will timeout of the manual link after approx 4 minutes so that is a possibility. Also the motion sensor must not have good comm at its current location since it took several attempts to get the device to add.

Any attempt to read or write the motion sensor options requires the device be put into linking mode first.

Ok, but after it is on the tree, so to speak, shouldn't I be able to query it?

All battery devices go to sleep (turn off RF circuity) to extend battery life. It is expected that ahead of any attempt to communicate with a battery device it is manually put into linking mode. Since battery devices timeout of linking mode, comm with the device (such as reading/writing options) should be done immediately after manually starting linking mode.

A Query does not actually communicate with a motion sensor as there is no status to access.

All battery devices go to sleep (turn off RF circuity) to extend battery life. It is expected that ahead of any attempt to communicate with a battery device it is manually put into linking mode. Since battery devices timeout of linking mode, comm with the device (such as reading/writing options) should be done immediately after manually starting linking mode.

A Query does not actually communicate with a motion sensor as there is no status to access.

Ok, but the motion sensor and the SwitchLinc Dimmer both have red exclamation marks in front of them in the tree, and when I query the SwitchLinc dimmer it doesn't change. However, I can control the SwitchLinc from the Admin Console buttons, on, off, brighten, dim, but the "current state" for the SwitchLinc doesn't change, even stating its off when it may be on. But I'm concerned that the motion sensor isn't responding. Should I do a factory reset of the MS, and should I also remove any links to it? I currently have 2 LampLincs in the ISY and they both read as OK, and respond.

There may be pending updates to the motion sensor and the SwitchLinc. Put the motion sensor into linking mode, right click on Sensor node and select Write Updates to Device. When that is complete do the same to the SwitchLinc.

When devices are added to the ISY 'Remove existing links' (the default) should be chosen. This insures there are no links carried forward.

There may be pending updates to the motion sensor and the SwitchLinc. Put the motion sensor into linking mode, right click on Sensor node and select Write Updates to Device. When that is complete do the same to the SwitchLinc.

When devices are added to the ISY 'Remove existing links' (the default) should be chosen. This insures there are no links carried forward.

Thanks Lee. I wrote the Updates to Device for both and both are no longer showing the the red marks. But the Motion Sensor is not responding to motion. If I run the "IF THEN" Program which uses the MS and the DeviceLinc, the IF THEN works, but the MS will not respond on its own.

Post the actual Program.

Put the motion sensor into linking mode, right click on Sensor node, select Diagnostics | Show Device Links Table, post the displayed link table.

Nothing listed when I did this. Error message "failed reading device link"

But when I do Diagnostics, Show ISY Links Table, I get a table with 4 lines.

There are comm problems between the motion sensor and the PLM, assuming the motion sensor Red LED was blinking indicating it was in linking mode.

I did "write updates to device" for everything again and now everything is back in the tree without a red mark. But now when the MS triggers the lamps, it goes into THEN mode, but doesn't always repeat 4 times; sometimes 1 time, sometimes 3 or 4 times. And on the Program Summary tab, the Activity column shows "running then" for several minutes even after the program is finished.

Archived