Venstar thermostat question.

ingeborgdot

I have the Venstar thermostat but need a little help. This might just be how thermostats work and I can't do anything about it. When I set the AC to run at 74 the thermostat does not kick in until the temps reach 76 or 77 degrees. Well, that is not keeping it at 74. Is there something I need to change or do I just need to change my whole system of cooling? Thanks.

I have the Venstar thermostat but need a little help. This might just be how thermostats work and I can't do anything about it. When I set the AC to run at 74 the thermostat does not kick in until the temps reach 76 or 77 degrees. Well, that is not keeping it at 74. Is there something I need to change or do I just need to change my whole system of cooling? Thanks.

The Venstars have a "Deadband" setting. The default is 2 degrees. What this means is if you have your Cool set to 74 it waits until it is 76 then cools to 74. Likewise with heat, if your heat is set to 76 then it will wait until it's 74, then heat to 76.

You can change this setting but there are different opinions on what it should be. With no deadband, cycling AC on and off frequently can reduce the life of the compressor but you have more even temperatures.

Archived