Set up a dummy node address to Open Garage Door with Mobilinc Lite

JLopilato

Sorry - I posted this in the "How are you using your ISY" Forum by mistake.

Hi all:

My daughter lives in the next town and comes by very infrequently. I have set up Mobilinc Lite on her iphone to open the garage door so that she can enter my home.

When she opens the garage door with her iphone, I would like to have the ISY send me a text message so that I know she's there. however, I would like her mobilinc activity to be seperate from mine. In other words, I would like ISY to discern which of us is opening the garage door. I don't want ISY to send me a text message when I open the garage door.

In order to do that I was thinking that if I could set up a dummy node and name it so that it shows up on mobilinc lite along with the Garage Status node (the Lite version is free and limited to only 2 devices so this fits my needs) , then I would write a program to look for the dummy node being switched ON, and when it is switched ON, switch it to OFF, open the garage door (the Garage Status would show her that the door is open), disarm the alarm, and send me a text message.

The same scenario could be programmed for when she leaves and wants to close the garage door

If this can be done, are there any instructions for doing this? Can anyone contribute any ideas as to how this can be accomplished? Thanks...

You could create a disabled (so it does not trigger on conditions, but can still be run from MobiLinc) program on your ISY that (in the 'Then' area) triggers the door opening and sends you the text.

Add the program to your daughters device, with 'RunThen' of this program as a favorite (along with the status node).

Restrict MobiLinc to the favorites screen, and pin protect settings to prevent changes.

MWareman:

Thanks for your response. The Mobilinc Lite app does not have  any of the capabilities of Mobilinc Pro or HD. It does not have "Favorites". It does not have a dashboard. It won't allow a program to be run. It will allow a user to control 2 devices or 2 scenes only - that's why it is a free app and is probably used to give a potential buyer a feel for the paid app.

However, I could actually have her control the Garage door link directly as a device in Mobilinc Lite and I will run the "Run Then" from my paid Mobilinc HD app. Good idea!!!

Another idea I had - I have a Insteon Wall Outlet that I never use. I could rename it from "Family Room Wall Outlet" in the Linked Devices List to "(Daughter's Name) Garage Control" and add it to her Mobilinc Lite. I could Then rename the actual Garage Door Relay Controller Device to "(My Name) Garage Control" and use that for my Garage Door Needs. When she wants to Open or close the Garage Door, she activates the "(Daughter's Name) Garage Control" device on her phone and I can write an ISY program to Open/Close the Garage Door and send me the Text Message.

Any other ideas? Thanks to All...

The Mobilinc Lite app does not have  any of the capabilities of Mobilinc Pro or HD.

I don't use the lite version on android, but was afraid of this.  Based upon the lite version in iOS, I was concerned that one could access only devices or scenes, and not programs.  To access a device or scene from the lite version (iOS), it must be at the top two in your ISY device listing.  I assume the same for android.  You will likely have to assign it a name that puts it at the top alphabetically.

My initial thoughts on this was similar to mwareman: create a disabled program that only would be used by your daughter.  Unfortunately, if you have confirmed that the lite version cannot access programs, this is not an option.  Interestingly enough, the description on the play store says that the lite version DOES have access to programs.  How confident are you that you don't have access to programs?

Your idea about an unused device as a unique trigger has merit, in my mind.  Did it not work?

You are correct - the IOS version does not allow access to programs, only 2 scenes and 2 devices, But it is free and fills the need to control the garage door for entry into the house. In order to force the devices to display in the Lite version, I renamed the Garage Door Control as ".GarageDoor-Control" and the LED Status as ".GarageDoor-Status" - Works just fine.

I succeeded in getting it done by installing and linking a OutletLinc and naming it ".A(Daughter's Name)_Garage_Open_CLose", renaming  ".GarageDoor-Control" to "GarageDoor-Control" and leaving ".GarageDoor-Status" as is.

".A(Daughter's Name)_Garage_Open_CLose" shows up first in the Mobilinc Lite Device List and ".GarageDoor-Status" shows up as the second device in the list.

I wrote a program that looks at the status of the OutletLinc and Opens the Garage when OutletLinc is ON and Closes the Garage when OutletLinc is OFF. The program also sends me a text message when the garage is Open as well as when Closed.

All is good...

Archived