FanLinc - Reverse

atmarosi

The FanLinc has no reverse option.   Some fans need to be stopped before changing direction.  My fans would require a double pole relay to reverse direcion.  I change direction twice a year.  Not worth the effort to do it here.

Reversing the Line and Neutral normally will not reverse the fans motors direction.

If the fan motor uses a motor run capacitor you maybe able to reverse it but it would require rewiring the motor to do it.

What make and model fan is it. Maybe we can find more information on it.

It does not have a remote that can reverse it?

It's a minka-aire concept i 

Their wireless (RF based) controller will allow you to reverse it, the only physical difference between the fanlinc and the stock controller is on the output side they have a fan neutral where as the fanlinc does not...So that's why I'm thinking they are just reversing the fan circuit to spin it in reverse, all the while increasing the speed will continue to function normally no matter which way it spins.

The supply voltage is alternating current (AC). AC has no polarity. The only reason line and neutral are so designated if that the neutral side is held at 0 potential wrt/ground for safety purposes. Nearly all plug-in power supplies and some lamps allow you the plug them in either way.

Some fans use a slide switch to reverse the direction, so installing a FanLinc will still allow reversing. But, if the reversal is part of the electronics, then when you remove the original electronics, you remove reversing capability, too.

There is no manual reversing swtich on this fan unfortunately.  I'm just puzzled at how their rf control unit is capable of reversing the fan without anything more than the same type of electronics as the fan linc.  It's got AC in and out of the stock rf unit - so they must be doing something with it ..? right?

The RF module must me using some power-line communication to a relay in the motor housing that switches the motor windings.  The instructions say that the fan has to be running (power to it) in order for the reverse function to work, so that would make sense.

I had essentially the same setup.   I had no idea what the communication to the relay was, but when I first installed my Leviton Z-Wave Fan control, the fan was spinning the wrong direction.   I was able to quickly turn the fan off and back on with the air gap, and power.

It doesn't appear to be any special communication other than power cycling.  Any way you can do what's described here?

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/electrical-lighting/ceiling-fan-remote-control-1770.html

That's essentially what I did and I got it spinning in "summer" direction.   I'm debating if I want install some sort of mechanism to easily reverse mine in winter.  I just didn't use them last winter.

So turn it off - spin by hand in the desired direction and then turn it on....and it will remember this direction?

Unfortunately not that simple.   It is all fan dependent.

Mine has to has quick successive power cycles to reverse.  You won't be able to do this with the FanLinc installed, since it probably can't react fast enough.   You can try though.

If no luck, you would need the fan hardwired to a switch (or breaker) and do it manually.  Hopefully you have a switch that you can use for a bit?   Depending on your wiring, maybe you bypassed a switch at a junction box?   if you go with the breaker, are other devices on the same circuit?  Many devices won't like the power being applied and taken away like that.

I called up Minka today.  I'm not 100% convinced they understood my question - however they state that there is a module of sorts within the motor that the RF controller 'talks' to in order to control direction.....

Any one want to crack one open  :-P  :ph34r: 

When using the FanLinc, the fan spins in the wrong direction for summer (in CA currently).

I have the stock remote/wireless controller and that will allow me to change direction, however I didn't try changing it and then putting it back on the fanlinc.....might give that a try now that I think about it......

When using the FanLinc, the fan spins in the wrong direction for summer (in CA currently).

I have the stock remote/wireless controller and that will allow me to change direction, however I didn't try changing it and then putting it back on the fanlinc.....might give that a try now that I think about it......

That should work.  Just annoying changing it twice a year, for each fan! 

Be sure to test when you re-install the FanLinc before you close everything up!

If the rep you spoke to is correct and that the reverse is controlled via an RF communication to a seperate module at the fan motor, then you might be able to leave the Fanlinc in place and wire the factory RF module to a circuit by itself without hooking up the wires that go to the fan/light (just wire nut them individually for safety).  In theory, when you use the remote to reverse the fan, a signal would still be sent to the module at the fan via RF.

It's all theoretical, of course, but it may be worth a try and keep you from having to temporarily swap out your Fanlinc every time you want to reverse the fan.

• 10 months later...

I recently installed an Emerson Curva ceiling fan with the Insteon KPL and a Fanlink.  I stumbled across the ability to change direction from winter to summer. High - Off - High - Off - High - Off.  These six commands done within 3 or 4 seconds. When the last Off was selected I heard a click within the fan which indicated the fan direction was changed.

Archived