Programming for the garage door

rw86347

I purchased the insteon garage door controller.  Every things works great except programming for it.

I want to create two programs:

1) open door

2) close door

If the door is closed and you run close door nothing should happen.  That way you can guarantee the door is actually closed.

Right now when the door opens the close program runs.  When the doors closes the open program runs.  This means my door is in an infinite loop.

Here is what my first of three programs looked like.

(open door)

if

door status == On

then

door relay On 

(close door)

if

door status == Off

then

door relay On

The action of the program changes the status or what you are monitoring. That's not unlike two programs that say, "if the switch in on, then turn if off," and "if the switch is off, then turn it on." You're telling the garage door to close if it's open. But you do that anytime you drive in or out.

You'll need another condition, for example, we have a button that we push from the bedroom to close the garage doors, so "status is on AND button is pushed."

What does the third program look like?

rw86347-

Just Disable both programs so that they don't self trigger.  You can then call the programs manually from another program, Mobilinc, or the Admin console.

Or, as Stu said above, add a  "and Control 'XXX' is switched On" or "and Control 'XXX' is switched Off"condition to the programs using whatever device you wish to trigger the door activity (Like a KPL button for example.) 

-Xathros

ONe thing that seems to trip some folks up is that the relay device status is not to be used as a reflection of garage door status.  Make sure you are using the sensor.  (from your program, I could not tell which you were using...sorry)

Another possibility, beyond those already suggested, is that it is possible that there are differences between responses to scene commands and direct commands.  Perhaps creation of a scene with the relay included only, and having the program activating the scene, rather than directly addressing the relay, would help.

Check, also, the mode of the relay.  Is this in momentary mode?

Archived