Help with programming motion sensor

Johns9149

I am new when it comes to motion sensors.  I have a Togglelinc switch / light in my master bedroom closet that I want to contol with 2 different sensors.  The premise is that one sensor (located in the closet)  would control on / off during the day time, while the second one, (located in the master bedroom) would control it during the night.  The daytime sensor program is:

If
        From     5:00:05AM
        To      11:30:00PM (same day)
    And Control 'Master Bathroom / Mstr Bath Closet Sensor' is switched On

Then
        Set Scene 'Master Bathroom / Master Bath Closet light' On
        Wait  10 minutes
        Set Scene 'Master Bathroom / Master Bath Closet light' Off

Else
        Wait  1 minute
My issue is that the light will often turn on, then immediately turn off, then turn back on.  I am trying to get the program to turn on the light if it senses motion between 5 am and 11:30 pm same day and stay on as long as it senses motion, then turn off 10 minutes after the last motion was detected.  Any thoughts on where my program logic fails?

I am new when it comes to motion sensors.  I have a Togglelinc switch / light in my master bedroom closet that I want to contol with 2 different sensors.  The premise is that one sensor (located in the closet)  would control on / off during the day time, while the second one, (located in the master bedroom) would control it during the night.  The daytime sensor program is:

If

From     5:00:05AM

To      11:30:00PM (same day)

And Control 'Master Bathroom / Mstr Bath Closet Sensor' is switched On

Then

Set Scene 'Master Bathroom / Master Bath Closet light' On

Wait  10 minutes

Else

Wait  1 minute

Set Scene 'Master Bathroom / Master Bath Closet light' Off My issue is that the light will often turn on, then immediately turn off, then turn back on.  I am trying to get the program to turn on the light if it senses motion between 5 am and 11:30 pm same day and stay on as long as it senses motion, then turn off 10 minutes after the last motion was detected.  Any thoughts on where my program logic fails?

Motion_Sensor_Options_2.gif 

On only mode: when checked an Off command is sent when the Timeout value expires. When unchecked only On commands are sent.

If you have the "On Only Mode" box checked the "Timeout" is probably set to less than 10 minutes causing your light to turn off before10 minutes. You can uncheck the box so the Off command is not sent or set Timeout for 10 minutes or longer. 

I bet your night program that you didn't post is also triggering on the MS on command and running false because of the time restraint.  Post the other program.

-Xathros

What is the MS duration set to? BTW, you don't need the Else part.

The else part is a nice feature in the event that 11:30 occurs during the 10 minute wait, interrupting the THEN statement.

If you have the "On Only Mode" box checked the "Timeout" is probably set to less than 10 minutes causing your light to turn off

Is this true?  I don't see anything in the program that would respond to an OFF command.  The only way that I can think that this might be an issue is that the light is responder to a scene with the motion sensor (which it should not be).

My issue is that the light will often turn on, then immediately turn off, then turn back on.

I don't see anything in this program that would cause what you describe. Aas suggested by others, the motion sensor may be a controller of a scene with the light?  If so, I would get rid of the scene, relying only on the program exclusively.

If you are unsure, temporarily disable the program and see if the light still comes on from motion.  If so, then there is something else going on.

Alternatively, select the light in the device list and check along the right of the screen to see if it is a member of any scenes.

I am curious what devices are in the scene "'Master Bathroom / Master Bath Closet light"

Like others said, it could also be the result of other programs not posted here.

I bet your night program that you didn't post is also triggering on the MS on command and running false because of the time restraint. Post the other program.

-Xathros

^^ this ^^

Its my educated guess as well.

Try disabling it temporarily and see if the problem goes away.

Motion_Sensor_Options_2.gif

On only mode: when checked an Off command is sent when the Timeout value expires. When unchecked only On commands are sent.

If you have the "On Only Mode" box checked the "Timeout" is probably set to less than 10 minutes causing your light to turn off before10 minutes. You can uncheck the box so the Off command is not sent or set Timeout for 10 minutes or longer. 

dbuss -

here is the MS options settings:

the On/Off commands box is NOT checked, however; the Timeout period is only 1 minute.  Do you believe that by increasing it to 11 minutes may solve the issue?

There is nothing in the program you posted that would be affected by the motion sensor timeout period. If you have scenes that include the motion sensor, or other programs, then changing the tie out period may have an impact. Unfortunately, those questions remain unanswered.

I bet your night program that you didn't post is also triggering on the MS on command and running false because of the time restraint.  Post the other program.

-Xathros

As many has suggested, the "night" program may be an issue.  My hope with this program is that from Midnight to 5 am if the MS detects motion, it will turn on the scene "Night bathrm pathway" which sets the light to 40% brightness and then turns off after 1 min 30 seconds.  The MS is located in the master bedroom

If

Control 'Master Bed Room / Mstr Bedroom-Sensor' is switched On

And From    12:00:00AM

To       5:00:00AM (same day)

Then

Set Scene 'Night bathrm pathway' On

Else

Wait  1 minute and 30 seconds

Set Scene 'Night bathrm pathway' Off

There is nothing in the program you posted that would be affected by the motion sensor timeout period. If you have scenes that include the motion sensor, or other programs, then changing the tie out period may have an impact. Unfortunately, those questions remain unanswered.

I don't have any other programs that use this MS.  The scene 'Master Bathroom / Master Bath Closet light' sets the togglelinc to 89%.  The togglelinc that controls the light is not set as a controller for any device, but is a responder to the 2 scenes I am trying to work out and an All Off scene.  Do you believe that I should just drop the THEN command "Set Scene 'Master Bathroom / Master Bath Closet light' On" and replace it with just something like "Set Master bath closet light switch ON" ?

As I stated previously, I am new to MS and starting to understand them.

I don't believe changing the THEN statement as you suggest will help. It is also good to know whether there are not other programs that are affected by the motion sensor. Is it possible that there atr other programs that affect the lights? Is the motion sensor part of any scene?

There are a couple of options to assist you in troubleshooting you problem...the program status list, and the event viewer. Open the program status list and have someone trigger the motion sensor. Take note of any programs that become active as your lights turn on and off. If only your one program is active, watch the event viewer for signs of in set on traffic. You might be able to identify any devices or scenes that are causing your lights to turn off unexpectedly.

I don't believe changing the THEN statement as you suggest will help. It is also good to know whether there are not other programs that are affected by the motion sensor. Is it possible that there atr other programs that affect the lights? Is the motion sensor part of any scene?

There are a couple of options to assist you in troubleshooting you problem...the program status list, and the event viewer. Open the program status list and have someone trigger the motion sensor. Take note of any programs that become active as your lights turn on and off. If only your one program is active, watch the event viewer for signs of in set on traffic. You might be able to identify any devices or scenes that are causing your lights to turn off unexpectedly.

Yikes! Lots of tweeking for something that seemed so simple in the beginning :?

Here is what I have done.   For the time being, I have disabled the "night" program and will only focus on the "day time" program.  I have changed the MS device setting to timeout at 11 minutes.  I have confirmed that this MS is only a part of the "daytime" program.  I have removed the THEN and ELSE statement that references the scene and replaced it with " Set 'Master Bathroom / Mstr Bath Closet Light Switch' ON in the THEN command and Set 'Master Bathroom / Mstr Bath Closet Light Switch' OFF in the ELSE command.

I triggered the MS and the light did come on at the 89% level.  However, after 2 min 15 sec, it dropped to a 10% level.  Weird.  I then triggered the MS again and it went back to 89%.  I'm beginning to wonder if it wouldn't be a better idea to scrape all existing programs and scenes (day & night) and just start from the beginning with only the daytime program and the one MS.  Thoughts?  Thank you upfront for all the help / time you've given.  Also, any idea how to post a "screen shot" or image in these posts?  I've tried using the Snipping tool in Windows, but get an error message that the post doesnt accept this format.  I just thought that if I could give a picture of settings, programs, etc, that it would be easier to diagnose.

No need for wholesale changes. I continue to believe that the problems you are experiencing are unrelated to these programs.

The fact that your lights dropped to a 10% level after 2 minutes makes me suspect that there is a rogue program somewhere that we have not identified. From your program listing, you should be able to identify any program that ran 2:15 after your motion program. Do you see anything? Have you checked?

In addition, you can search your programs for any that reference the affected light by right clicking the top of the program tree, select find and choose the affected light.  Review and programs that are found for possible conflicts with your MS program.

-Xathros

No need for wholesale changes. I continue to believe that the problems you are experiencing are unrelated to these programs.

The fact that your lights dropped to a 10% level after 2 minutes makes me suspect that there is a rogue program somewhere that we have not identified. From your program listing, you should be able to identify any program that ran 2:15 after your motion program. Do you see anything? Have you checked?

Sorry, not very versed on where to look for the data and history;  I went to Programs / Summary and see the listing of programs with their last run time and last finish time.  Is there a way to see history, or am I limited to just the last event?

In addition, you can search your programs for any that reference the affected light by right clicking the top of the program tree, select find and choose the affected light.  Review and programs that are found for possible conflicts with your MS program.

-Xathros

The only program that highlights is the Daytime Motion program.  I am going to also disable the "daytime" MS unit, change the light bulbs, and then turn them on using the togglelinc.  Maybe it is not the scenes on programs, maybe faulty lights or switch.  I will let you know.

I replaced the light bulbs and disabled (took the battery out of) both of the MS's.  I turned on the togglelinc and let it go for about 1/2 hour.  The light stayed at the 89% level that it is supposed to.  Tomorrow I am going to reactivate the "daytime" MS and see if the program runs properly without the light dropping to a 10% level.  I will post the results

Just to update this thread...I added back the closet MS and re-enabled the program.  I then deleted the program for the 'nighttime pathway' just in case there was any interference from it.  At first, the MS activated the light properly and did not drop to 10% level.  However, it would not go off after the wait time.  I then added 'Set Master Bathroom / Mstr Bath Closet Light Switch' Off as a THEN command.  Now everything seems to work as it should.  Thanks to everyone for their help!

Archived