Which Insteon / ISY Thermostats on Dual HVAC systems

felickz

I currently have a 4 wire and a 5 wire thermostat (dumb), each going to a separate HVAC system.

Which setup is possible to get the thermostats to work together and be controlled by ISY automation?  I have terrible trouble keeping the second thermostat kicking on at the proper time as it is very close to a vent from the first system.... would like for them to be initiated together.

From what I gather the Insteon thermostat only can work in Master/Slave mode with 1 Wired Master to multiple wireless Slaves .. Does anyone know if two wired Insteon thermostats can be Master/Slave?

(side note: does the 4 wire thermostat i have wired up create any incompatibility with potential automated thermostats)

A thermostat or its sensor should be located in the area being heated and/or cooled, but control of that thermostat can be anywhere. If you have 5-wires, then you can install an INSTEON wired thermostat and place the wireless thermostat where it will be most effective. You can program either or both thermostats and/or use the abilities of the ISY. The 4-wire thermostat will require an Add-a-Wire kit.

A wired INSTEON wired thermostat cannot be a master of nor a slave to another wired INSTEON thermostat. A single wired thermostat can communicate with up to two wireless thermostats either of which can be a master or slave of only one wired thermostat.

So, you can replace the poorly located thermostat with a wired thermostat and place a wireless thermostat where it you want and use the ISY as a controller. Or replace both wired thermostats and have double the fun :?

Thanks, that route makes sense ... i could position a wireless thermostat next to the location of the other wired and have them in sync that way.

I am a newbie to ISY, but is possible to program the thermostat schedule in the ISY program.

Can you configure the Thermostats to both respond to a program config  if either thermostat (or remote wireless one) reads > 72 degrees, turn on AC and FAN on both HVAC systems at the same time.

This would require i could read the temp + set the FAN and AC ON on both thermostats.  Assuming i probably cannot directly control AC ON i could potentially just drop the set point temporarily so it kicks in.

Is there a good spot to look in the manuals or documentation as to what variables the Insteon devices have available in the ISY?  

You can program the thermostat independent if the ISY. You can use the ISY to program the thermostat independent of the thermostat's programming ability.Or any combination. You can use the state of one thermostat to control the state of another.

All of the thermostat's modes are available to the ISY. The setpoint for heating or cooling or condition is available from 1º to 99º in 1º increments. Some of the default settings such as setting the thermostat to ºC or ºF need to be set at the thermostat (or with HouseLinc).

AFAIK, there is no documentation for attributes available to the ISY for individual devices. In fact, the devices themselves evolve, so a feature on the latest device may not be available on prior revisions.

• 3 months later...

Insteon thermostats on dual HVAC systems can save you a lot of bucks. Insteon thermostat automatically senses the temperature of the surroundings and works accordingly.

Doesn't every thermostat do that? Isn't that the purpose of a thermostat? Or are you just posting an advertisement?

I don't get it. What is it-specifically-about the Insteon thermostat makes it "more energy efficient" than others, for example an Aube, Nest or Venstar thermostat? If not those, then which thermostat is less efficient? Why?

Archived