KPL switch only (not dimmer)

ravedog

Does the kpl come in a relay not dimmable module? I just bought a second one and was going to install it in a slot where our flood light switch was. They are on off not dimmable. I needed the space so I thought I'd use the button a to control those and the rest to do whatever. But it seems they only make the dimmable module.

Is there a solution to this, because I never ever want the unit to do anything but on or off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does the kpl come in a relay not dimmable module? I just bought a second one and was going to install it in a slot where our flood light switch was. They are on off not dimmable. I needed the space so I thought I'd use the button a to control those and the rest to do whatever. But it seems they only make the dimmable module.

Is there a solution to this, because I never ever want the unit to do anything but on or off.

Yes, it comes in a 6 button relay: http://www.smarthome.com/keypadlinc-insteon-2487s-6-button-scene-control-keypad-with-on-off-switch-dual-band-white.html

Can it be converted to 8 and have no issues in terms of operation or programming (will it then work exactly as the 8?)

Yes, all you need to do is purchase the 8 button conversion kit and follow the manual to set it up as so.

Awesome. Thank you..

You better make sure the J Box has plenty of room to fit that monster in! The KPL dimmer is only 1.2" while the KPL relay is 1.7" and has a huge aszz 12  gauge ground strap that you're going to have to smash into the drywall.  :?

Don't even think about trying to fit it into the KPL table top enclosure yet!  :mrgreen:  Well, not until we find out where the other member got the awesome trim ring!  :-P

He extended it with screws (and I guess nuts or some super adhesive. Hen wrapped the air gap with a pretty tape.

So wow. Hmm...

The box it's going in is a standard dual gang box. One kpl dimmer is in there now. So you think it won't fit next to the existing kpl? :/

He extended it with screws (and I guess nuts or some super adhesive. Hen wrapped the air gap with a pretty tape.

So wow. Hmm...

The box it's going in is a standard dual gang box. One kpl dimmer is in there now. So you think it won't fit next to the existing kpl? :/

I honestly don't know other than the simple fact those KPL relays are phat! If you have lots of space and not a lot of box fill. It should not be a problem until you see that massive 12 gauge ground strap in the front of the metal clip!  :mrgreen:

M-hahahahahahah

Maybe is should use the dimmer one I bought. Wire nut the 2 leads going to the floods. Then install a micro switch in the floods box??? The I can use the kpl to trigger the micro? More expensive :/ but workable?

The other thing is was thinking was even if I used the 6 button version, when I locally control it it will send an on or off. The switch now in there, you turn it off then back on to override the sensors. I was going to do all that in the programming and with a virtual button instead of a direct button (button a) then I can get an on off effect. Direct control will be problematic.

I have two relay KPLs, converted to 8 button with the A button load controlling outside yardlights. They work great on the ISY.

Because they are higher up than appliancelincs, the slight "click" is a little more noticeable.

2 should fit in a standard 2 gang construction box.

The reason I asked is that I never ever ever want to send a dim command to the floods. Never ever.

Plus don't all dimmer modules have even a small ramp from 0? Not true on off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reason I asked is that I never ever ever want to send a dim command to the floods. Never ever.

Plus don't all dimmer modules have even a small ramp from 0? Not true on off?

I believe its 0.1 seconds but am pretty sure you won't even notice it. 

I once had a dimmer kpl beep and refuse to work when plugged into control CFL bulbs (non dimable). I had to put in a relay. If floods are incandescent, you won't have a problem.

One thing I noticed about picking one kind of kpl over another is that you can't do a "replace with" from dimmer to relay or vice versa (unless something has changed recently).

With respect to BFG wire, I think if you have metal junction box the grounding can occur via the screws you use to secure kpl to box and you could do away with it. Am not an electrician though so not sure. If anyone is/knows, I would also be curious to know if you could cut a few strands off the ground wire or if they really need to be that big. I have to assume they do otherwise Smarthome would have saved a few bucks and put smaller ones in I would think.

If you wire a dimmer to a nondimmable load, then you may destroy the dimmer, the load or both. But, there's absolutely no problem wiring it to a dimmable load that's never dimmed.

Although it's tougher to work with, the KPL On/Off switch will fit in most j-boxes. I do have a KPL relay in a 2-gang box along with dimmer.

Here's the issue. Not ever dimming the unit is fine. But if one accidentally holds down the button (like my dad does because he can't sense pressure) then we have a dimming scenario. I've already had to intercept all forms of button presses on the mini remote to handle his accidental long presses.

All good info tho guys. Thank you.

If fit is an issue, then install a dimmer in the switch box and cap the load wire. The install a Micro relay in the fixture box. Holding the KPL button won't dim or brighten.

More expensive but foolproof! Plus I get the added benefit of knowing when the sensors are tripped.

That was sold as benefit to my family. The reality is it has worked out that way. There is not a clear view to the driveway area, and the click lets you know something is going on. Even the dog gives a gruff when it clicks.

The flip side is the kitchen table is between both relay keypads. We have a euchre group over and people sit there. I've never had comments to me / wife about it. You can hear it but is not a heavy "clunk" like supersockets or other x10 relays.

Archived