Program a dimmer to act like a switch?

sandpiper

Hi all,

is there a way to write a program that makes a dimmer behave like a switch? Either full on or off? Like when you try to dim it up, it jumps to full on, when you try to dim it down, it jumps to off?
I have some porch lights with non dimmable cfls and I want to use them till they burn out and then replace them with dimmable LEDs. So I don't want to buy switches anymore.

Thanks for your help!

Sure

Write programs that trigger on the dimming and On/Off events and send a Fast On or Fast Off. These commands have no ramping or dimming involved. Their could be slight delay before correction if somebody holds the paddle down too long and a dim selection is actually made. These command signals are the ones the SwitchLinc Dimmer would send if you double tap the paddle.

I use all SwitchLinc Dimmers in my system but have never bothered with this but my ISY programs always use Fast On/Off to avoid partial brightness where non-dimmable lamps are involved.

If

control switchlinc is Fade Up

or

control switchlinc is On

Then

set switchlinc to Fast On

Else

--

Then write one for the reciprocal Off/Fade Down and dimming triggers.

Non-dimmable CFLs will not last as long using a dimmer as a TRIAC dimmer chops the waveform even at full brightness. So, if you're waiting for them to burn out, keep them on longer :?

Non-dimmable CFLs will not last as long using a dimmer as a TRIAC dimmer chops the waveform even at full brightness. So, if you're waiting for them to burn out, keep them on longer :?

I haven't noticed a detectable brightness change from a straight switch to a SwitchLinc at full brightness. Big differences can be noted with many other dimmers and since most don't have any smarter circuitry powered up 24/7 so that is understandable. Other dimmers need to start timing from the waveform zero crossing, charge some capacitor-based variable delay circuit and then fire the Triac ASAP. Smarter dimmer circuits can fire the triac right at the zero crossing and have no waveform rise time missing and thus less switching high-frequency harmonics generated. Easier on the bulb ballasts.

I haven't experienced any shorter life with my SwitchLincs and CFL bulbs. OTOH,  I populated my new house with all new CFL bulbs and most of them blew within a year the first round :( . This was all before I had any dimmers.  The upside down, potlight, construction was never a good idea for CFL bulbs. The ballast overheated. I had one that lasted a week and the second one from the pair, less than an hour. Most are replaced with LED bulbs now.

I know, it might shorten their life a little, Well, I have some dimmers laying around, but i would have to purchase new switches. So I rather take the shorter life than having to buy switches now and replace them with dimmers in a year or so.

The idea is by the way to make the ISY send a "turn off" to the porch lights at 10p and then act as a 15 min timer till sunrise. My guests go out for a smoke and forget to switch off these lights all the time, so they are sometimes on day and night. They will do much better on the dimmers than right now ;)

Archived