How do you sync a KeypadLinc status light with the devices it controls?

gweempose

I have a 6-button KeypadLinc that I recently programmed to control a bunch of different lights in my basement. To do this, I created a scene for each button on the 994, and then added the KeypadLinc button and the switch that controls the load to it. If I turn on the light/scene from the KeypadLinc, the status light turns on, and everything is fine. If I turn it on from the switch itself, the status light on the KeypadLinc does not turn on. What do I need to do in order to ensure that all the status lights are always in sync no matter where I turn on/off the scene from?

Edit: I just realized that there is a Q&A sub-forum. That's probably a more appropriate place for this question. Can a mod please move this thread? Thanks!

Thanks! Your advice worked perfectly. I now have a related question.

On that same KeypadLinc, I have "ON" programmed to turn on all of the lights controlled by scenes A,B and C, and I have "OFF" programmed to turn them all off. What I would like to do is have all the corresponding scene buttons light up when I hit "ON", and have them all turn off when I hit "OFF". I'd also like the "ON" light to stay on if I turn off any of the individual scenes, but turn off if all three of the individual scenes are turned off. Is this possible?

It is possible to do that.  It requires some ISY programming for that type of logic.

Making A,B,C Responders to the ON/OFF button will get those button LEDs to turn On/Off with with the ON/OFF buttons.   Turning the ON button Off when A,B,C have been turned Off is where ISY programming is required.

• 1 year later...

I have a related question.  I have a  6-button KeypadLinc that also controls an ON/OFF switch.  Both are controllers in a "master" scene, thus no matter which button I hit, the KeypadLinc button is properly lit or not lit.  As you described above.

HOWEVER -- 

I have a few programs that will also trigger that on/off switched light (under various conditions).  However, for example, if the light is switched off by the ISY, the corresponding light on the KeyPadLinc does not go off.  How do I get the KeyPadLinc to "recognize" when the ISY has programatiicly turned off the light switch.

If you use the ISY or any other Insteon manager to send a direct command to a device, the only that specific device responds. None of the linked devices recognize that command. To do otherwise can result in an infinite loop. If more than one device is involved, then the correct procedure is to control the scene, not the device.

Both the KPL button and switch controlling the load must be Controllers in the ISY scene.

LeeG, this worked for me when I had a KPL and a switch.  Meaning, whether I toggled the switch or the KPL, the light on the KPL was properly lit (or not lit, as the case may be).  However, I tried this with a KPL and an On/Off module - adding both as controllers.  However, when I toggle the On/Off Module directly, the light doesn't change on the KPL.  Am I doing something wrong?  Or that's just the way the cookie crumbles?

Archived