Network Module HTTP GET Request

mking0310

I've searched all day for resources on creating a network resource to sent a command to the DirecTV.

•  I can successfully send the command using Safari - Receive Response 200 and the channel changes. Therefore I'm using the right IP address.
  •  I've successfully added other network resources therefore I am saving it correctly.
  • Previously added my audio receiver Denon, by using TCP, by following online threads, and even tried using TCP for the Directv but failed.

Error Messages in ISY are -  Request Failed   and  Fri 2014/10/03 12:32:13 PM System -170001 [TCP-Conn] -1/-140002, Net Module Rule: 10

post-4260-0-62828300-1412365318_thumb.png

post-4260-0-24334400-1412365492_thumb.png

I'm hoping someone can explain what I'm doing wrong,  or tell me why I can send the command in Safari but not ISY.

The URL is 

http://192.168.150.31:8080/tv/tune?major=3&minor=65535

Xanthros, The additional commands I configured successfully after your help, have all provided the 200 response AND additional response information from the DVR. 

1. Is there a way to right programs using the response info?  

2. When using the browser to send the GET,  I get back more details than what ISY gives me...  How do I tell it to show it all. 

I'm hoping to see the response in ISY to include the "MODE" - then I could say,

IF Network Resource is Mode 1,  then do XYZ

post-4260-0-19214400-1412368885_thumb.png

post-4260-0-89728300-1412368891_thumb.png

Xanthros, The additional commands I configured successfully after your help, have all provided the 200 response AND additional response information from the DVR. 

1. Is there a way to right programs using the response info?  

2. When using the browser to send the GET,  I get back more details than what ISY gives me...  How do I tell it to show it all. 

I'm hoping to see the response in ISY to include the "MODE" - then I could say,

IF Network Resource is Mode 1,  then do XYZ

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-10-03 at 1.40.20 PM.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-10-03 at 1.39.59 PM.png

Excellent. :)

1) At the moment, there is no way to process responses from network resources.  UDI is working on the next generation firmware for the ISY (V 5.x) that is due to go into beta around the end of this year.  The ability to read responses as well as the ability to use variables within network resources is planned for the new firmware.

2)I don't know why the ISY truncaates the response message and I don't believe there is any way to change that.  Hopefully with V5.x, that will be resolved.

-Xathros

2. When using the browser to send the GET, I get back more details than what ISY gives me... How do I tell it to show it all.

2)I don't know why the ISY truncaates the response message and I don't believe there is any way to change that. Hopefully with V5.x, that will be resolved.

ISY is not really 'trunkating'. Its just only displaying the received header - not the body. The browser only displays the body, but not the header.

Many of the responses I've observed seem to be cut off mid sentence. I'll try to post an example later.

-Xathros

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

1) At the moment, there is no way to process responses from network resources.  UDI is working on the next generation firmware for the ISY (V 5.x) that is due to go into beta around the end of this year.  The ability to read responses as well as the ability to use variables within network resources is planned for the new firmware.

I've posted this 'Idea' on the IdeaScale site; if you're interested in seeing this feature, please go vote it up and add your comments.

http://udi.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Network-Resource-in-a-program-s-IF-condition/78829-32911

• 1 year later...

Hi

As you guys are experienced with ISY -> Denon control, I'm wondering if you can answer the following:

Can one specify the amount of volume increase or decrease, or is increase /decrease always by one unit? I know I can set an absolute volume,but am trying to send increase decrease volumes but they only increment by one. This means I need to send repeated network commands from ISY and it takes a very long time for the response cycle to for example increase volume by 10. I've tried adding a number after the volume up/down command and have not succeeded. Can this be done?

Thanks

Hi

As you guys are experienced with ISY -> Denon control, I'm wondering if you can answer the following:

Can one specify the amount of volume increase or decrease, or is increase /decrease always by one unit? I know I can set an absolute volume,but am trying to send increase decrease volumes but they only increment by one. This means I need to send repeated network commands from ISY and it takes a very long time for the response cycle to for example increase volume by 10. I've tried adding a number after the volume up/down command and have not succeeded. Can this be done?

Thanks

Maybe go online and grab the rs232 or IR commands and see. If they list them then its doable.

Maybe go online and grab the rs232 or IR commands and see. If they list them then its doable.

Hi. Thanks for the reply

The bottom of page 6 and top of page 7 of the below linked document from Denon discuss volume control, but I don't fully understand what it is telling me (I do understand how to set a specific volume and how to go up/down 1 unit (which is a barely audible difference)).  But I don't understand if it is saying I can change volume by a controllable amount (a relative change), or not, and if so, what the command would be...

http://openrb.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/AVR3312CI_AVR3312_PROTOCOL_V7.6.0.pdf

Because the 1-unit change is so small, every controller would have to send fast repeated commands, however the equipment (and controller) dont handle that well at all.  I find I need several seconds between repeats, yielding about a minute for meaningful volume change...I long time to be sitting there pressing the button.

Hi. Thanks for the reply

The bottom of page 6 and top of page 7 of the below linked document from Denon discuss volume control, but I don't fully understand what it is telling me (I do understand how to set a specific volume and how to go up/down 1 unit (which is a barely audible difference)). But I don't understand if it is saying I can change volume by a controllable amount (a relative change), or not, and if so, what the command would be...

http://openrb.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/AVR3312CI_AVR3312_PROTOCOL_V7.6.0.pdf

Because the 1-unit change is so small, every controller would have to send fast repeated commands, however the equipment (and controller) dont handle that well at all. I find I need several seconds between repeats, yielding about a minute for meaningful volume change...I long time to be sitting there pressing the button.

Not sure its going to work for you the way you want as far as I can tell. The network command only allows one command to be sent and as you know you fake it with the wait command for repeated actions. Otherwise you have to do IR control.

Here is a document that has IR codes in Hex format for Denon (most all units are the same)

http://assets.denon.com/documentmaster/us/denon%20master%20ir%20hex.xls

Then you take the Hex code and convert to binary for the vol up/down. With IR control this is when "sustain" comes into play.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_release_technology

Are you close to the receiver? Would any other option like an IR repeater or product like Global Cache work?

Thanks for your help, Scott!

I am trying to avoid adding a GC into the mix.  It sure seems "backwards" to fall back to IR, but possibly that's required.  Also, the GC is a pain to do the code conversions, etc.  I know it can be done with the GC helper program (and possibly your links avoid that step), but a pain.

I'm pausing in my reply to be sure I understand what you are saying:  

a. Are you saying this looks like it will require IR, I assume you are.

b. That being the case how would ISY use a repeater, etc, without a GC (is seems you suggest another way to do it without the GC).  Possibly you are asking "why not just use your remote".  If that's whats in your mind, the reason is, I am doing this from a keypad (as an alternative to the remote and for "home" etc programs).  I had not o made that clear, sorry.

Assuming I understood correctly and that I want to use a KP (or programs), I believe the conclusion is (as far as you can tell) that I need to use ISY to send IR via a GC.  It that correct?

Thanks again.

PS:  my other option is to use my RPi which will be set up to run IsyHelper to be able to invoke "activities" from the Harmony Hub.  I believe IsyHelper now has enabled "device" control (where it used to only handle "activities".  Thus, I could go from ISY to RPi to Harmony to change volume on the Denon device...still not as direct as I prefer.  Which route is the lesser of the evils is TBD...

Thanks for your help, Scott!

I am trying to avoid adding a GC into the mix. It sure seems "backwards" to fall back to IR, but possibly that's required. Also, the GC is a pain to do the code conversions, etc. I know it can be done with the GC helper program (and possibly your links avoid that step), but a pain.

I'm pausing in my reply to be sure I understand what you are saying:

a. Are you saying this looks like it will require IR, I assume you are.

b. That being the case how would ISY use a repeater, etc, without a GC (is seems you suggest another way to do it without the GC). Possibly you are asking "why not just use your remote". If that's whats in your mind, the reason is, I am doing this from a keypad (as an alternative to the remote and for "home" etc programs). I had not o made that clear, sorry.

Assuming I understood correctly and that I want to use a KP (or programs), I believe the conclusion is (as far as you can tell) that I need to use ISY to send IR via a GC. It that correct?

Thanks again.

PS: my other option is to use my RPi which will be set up to run IsyHelper to be able to invoke "activities" from the Harmony Hub. I believe IsyHelper now has enabled "device" control (where it used to only handle "activities". Thus, I could go from ISY to RPi to Harmony to change volume on the Denon device...still not as direct as I prefer. Which route is the lesser of the evils is TBD...

Now knowing you want to do it via KPL its a bit more of a PITA. Have a look in the Sonos section. It may help seeing how they control vol up and down via the KPL and network. Sonos API is closed but they figured out a way to control it. Also have a look at Remote Control Central forums, you might find a idea there.

Now knowing you want to do it via KPL its a bit more of a PITA. Have a look in the Sonos section. It may help seeing how they control vol up and down via the KPL and network. Sonos API is closed but they figured out a way to control it. Also have a look at Remote Control Central forums, you might find a idea there.

Thanks I will.  I'm doing sonos control very well, but doing all volume via denon, even for sonos., I will check the wider universe on denon volume control via IP.  Even the crestron controllers must run into this, that's why I imagine there IS a solution.  Was hoping you guys knew.  If I find it, Ill post back.

Thanks I will. I'm doing sonos control very well, but doing all volume via denon, even for sonos., I will check the wider universe on denon volume control via IP. Even the crestron controllers must run into this, that's why I imagine there IS a solution. Was hoping you guys knew. If I find it, Ill post back.

Well no the "big guys" have full RS232 and IP control. So in my Home Theater room with my RTI remotes I can connect via IP to my Marantz AV8802a and do vol up/down same as the OEM remote on my RTI remotes. Then I can create a macro on my RTI processor/system that can be accessed from any KPL button(s) for full vol control. I can even do a single button to mimic dimming/brightness control for the volume on a kpl button. Downside is this is not cheap and its a closed system.

The easiest thing I can think of is get a Insteon IRLinc and use the KPL buttons to send the IR command to the Denon. Done! ;)

Well no the "big guys" have full...

Yes, that sounds nice, but we're all here to find another way :wink:

After much testing of options here is my conclusion for smooth Denon volume control:

It involves adding a Global Cache and sending VolUp/Dn IR commands with repeats built in.  I have one for small change (button presss), for which GC sends 2 repeats and another for mid change (button hold), for which GC sends 6 repeats.  Both of these are single ISY->GC commands and the GC has no issue with the repeats and Dennon no issue in receiving them (just as is a remote volume button hold).  I give some more detail in the GC thread on this forum here:

http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/4810-the-global-cache-wf2ir-works/?p=169036

Thanks for your wisdom/experience

Yes, that sounds nice, but we're all here to find another way :wink:

After much testing of options here is my conclusion for smooth Denon volume control:

It involves adding a Global Cache and sending VolUp/Dn IR commands with repeats built in. I have one for small change (button presss), for which GC sends 2 repeats and another for mid change (button hold), for which GC sends 6 repeats. Both of these are single ISY->GC commands and the GC has no issue with the repeats and Dennon no issue in receiving them (just as is a remote volume button hold). I give some more detail in the GC thread on this forum here:

http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/4810-the-global-cache-wf2ir-works/?p=169036

Thanks for your wisdom/experience

Lol you mentioned the other companies first. Anyways glad you got everything working to your liking. Figured the GC or the Insteon IR would work well for you. :) Enjoy your music controls. You saw the new custom etched KPL buttons for music right?

Archived