Garage Door

TheWabit

Hi Folks!

Will this work or is there a better way?

If
        On Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu
        From    10:30:00PM
        To       6:00:00AM (next day)
     Or (
             On Sat, Fri
             From    11:00:00PM
             To       7:00:00AM (next day)
        )
    And Status  '19.5C.D1-Sensor' is On

Then
        Wait  5 minutes
        Set Scene 'Garage Door Relay' On

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Hard to say without knowing the definition of "work". Since you have no ELSE statements, there is probably no reason to have to/from times. It would be simpler to simply have "time is".

In my mind, this program, as is, will turn ON a relay scene "garage door relay" at 10:30 on some days and 11:00 on others, but only if a sensor is ON at these times.

This program will do nothing at 6:00am or 7:00 am, or any other time.

Unless you never anticipate opening the garage door after 10 PM, then this will work. However, I don't recommend it. You will want to have a second point of logic to ensure that you just didn't come home or needed to open the garage during those trigger times. There are several different ways to accomplish this. Some people use occupancy sensors in the garage to identify that you have triggered the button manually, or you can set a timer for when the button is pushed. The button push sets a variable, then waits a specified amount of time before resetting the variable. You can then check for the status of the variable before you close the door during those off times.

Thanks!

My goal was that if the door was not closed by this time - it will close (after 5 minutes). My thought was that even if someone opened the door between these times, it would trigger the 5 minute timer and then close after that. ?

After I open or close the door, my relay changes to "off". and when my door is open, my sensor shows "on". So based on what Oberkc said - it should work. Just not as sure about the 5 minute timer IF the door is opened manually. I will try it tonight.

The sensor, possibly, transitioned from OFF >>> ON, triggering the program?

Perhaps it good that you step back and define exactly what you want to happen.  What are you trying to achieve?  Are you, simply trying to create a program that closes the door, if open, at 10:00?  Do you want a program which closes any open door between the hours of 10:00 and 7:00?  Something else?

Edited by oberkc

Yes - I do want the door to close if we haven't closed it by that time - that part works fine. But I wanted to get fancy and say if, between these 2 times, someone opened the door with the button or the keypad (not keypadlinc, just a garage door number keypad), it will close after 5 minutes. Likely, if someone is using the garage door during those times, I want to make sure it closes again if they forget.

It just looked to me like when the sensor went "on" during those times (ie someone opened the door), that would start the timer and after 5 minutes the relay would be selected "on" again (ie shut the door). Maybe I don't understand I/Olincs as well as I should. I will go learn more about that  :)

It just looked to me like when the sensor went "on" during those times (ie someone opened the door), that would start the timer and after 5 minutes the relay would be selected "on" again (ie shut the door). Maybe I don't understand I/Olincs as well as I should. I will go learn more about that  :)

No, you understand it just fine.  In my mind, if the door is closed (sensor off) and is opened between the prescribed hours, I would expect the timer to start, and initiate a scene command 5 minutes later. IN retrospect, you may need a re-allocation of  parentheses in your program, but I don't believe that this is a factor here:

If

(       

On Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu

From    10:30:00PM

To       6:00:00AM (next day)

Or              On Sat, Fri

From    11:00:00PM

To       7:00:00AM (next day)

)

And Status  '19.5C.D1-Sensor' is On

Then

Wait  5 minutes

Set Scene 'Garage Door Relay' On

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

I am having trouble seeing why this program would have immediately sent a command to the door when opened.  I, too, expect the wait period to complete before sending the command.  I don't believe the parentheses issue would cause this, either.

I would be looking for scenes created that include both relay and sensor, or other programs that may be impacted by relay or sensor.

So this got me looking around. I have 2 scenes related to the garage door (not sure if I need both). Basically, one is the relay and one is the sensor. They both have the KPL light in them (I am suspicious of that):

<--Garage Door Relay

19.5C.D1 relay

Garage Door KPL

Garage Door Sensor

-->19.5C.D1

Garage Door KPL

Below is the Garage Door Relay scene test when opening the door:

Sun 11/23/2014 05:30:09 PM : [GRP-RX ] 02 61 18 13 00 06

Sun 11/23/2014 05:30:09 PM : [CLEAN-UP-RPT] 02 58 15

Sun 11/23/2014 05:30:09 PM : [iNST-SRX ] 02 50 19.5C.D1 00.00.01 C7 11 00 LTONRR (00)

Sun 11/23/2014 05:30:09 PM : [iNST-SRX ] 02 50 19.5C.D1 1F.23.5C 41 11 01 LTONRR (01)

<html><font color="red">----- Garage Door Relay Test Results -----</font></html>

<html><font color="red">[Failed]</font> Garage Door KPL (F FD A1 5)</html>

<html><font color="red">[Failed]</font> 19.5C.D1-Relay (19 5C D1 2)</html>

<html><font color="red">----- Garage Door Relay Test Results -----</font></html>

Sun 11/23/2014 05:30:17 PM : [iNST-TX-I1 ] 02 62 00 00 18 CF 13 00

Sun 11/23/2014 05:30:17 PM : [iNST-ACK ] 02 62 00.00.18 CF 13 00 06 LTOFFRR(00)

Sun 11/23/2014 05:30:17 PM : [D2D EVENT ] Event [F FD A1 5] [sT] [0] uom=0 prec=-1

Sun 11/23/2014 05:30:17 PM : [ F FD A1 5] ST 0

it PASSES when the I test it again while the door is open.

This is SENSOR scene test while it is open:

Sun 11/23/2014 05:32:26 PM : [GRP-RX ] 02 61 19 13 00 06

Sun 11/23/2014 05:32:26 PM : [CLEAN-UP-RPT] 02 58 06

Sun 11/23/2014 05:32:26 PM : [iNST-SRX ] 02 50 0F.FD.A1 1F.23.5C 61 13 19 LTOFFRR(19)

Sun 11/23/2014 05:32:26 PM : [std-Cleanup Ack] 0F.FD.A1-->ISY/PLM Group=0, Max Hops=1, Hops Left=0

Sun 11/23/2014 05:32:26 PM : [iNST-SRX ] 02 50 0F.FD.A1 1F.23.5C 61 13 19 LTOFFRR(19)

Sun 11/23/2014 05:32:26 PM : [std-Cleanup Ack] 0F.FD.A1-->ISY/PLM Group=0, Max Hops=1, Hops Left=0

<html><font color="red">----- Garage Door Sensor Test Results -----</font></html>

<html><font color="red">[succeeded]</font> Garage Door KPL (F FD A1 5)</html>

<html><font color="red">[Failed]</font> 19.5C.D1-Sensor (19 5C D1 1)</html>

<html><font color="red">----- Garage Door Sensor Test Results -----</font></html>

Sun 11/23/2014 05:32:34 PM : [iNST-ACK ] 02 62 00.00.19 CF 13 00 06 LTOFFRR(00)

If you are using the KPL to indicate door status and control door, then the two scenes look about right.  In the scene with the relay, I assume the KPL is controller.  In the scene with the sensor, I assume the KPL is responder.

Sometimes, scenes tests fail when there is a program triggered by one of the devices in the tested scene.  Try temporarily disabling any such programs, and re-run the scene tests.  Also, run several times.

In general, I have come to understand that when you have zero remaining "hops", this can be an indication of less-than-optimum communication.

Good news on the communication front.  I remain mystified as to the cause of the original problem...why your door would immediately trigger when opened.  Have you seen this again?

I hope I didn't state the failed action incorrectly. Within the timeframe in the "If", I went and opened door with the wall button (remember, my impression was the program was going to wait 5 minutes and close the door). I waited 5 minutes and it triggered, started to close but stopped after about 1 second and opened all the way back up.

Since I moved the parens the way you suggested earlier, I am going to try again tonight - will report back.

Just looking through my Scenes. Does this seem right?:

I have my garage door KPL highlighted in the tree on the left side. In the "membership" box it shows:

Garage door KPL is a responder to

Garage Door Relay Scene

Garage Door Sensor

19.5C.D1 -Sensor

I would think the KPL should just be a responder only to the Sensor. Seems odd that it would a responder to the Relay Scene.?

I would besurprised if moving the parentheses was the solution to this specific problem. After your second description, I have a different understanding of your symptoms. If the door waited the five minutes before trying to close, began to close, then reversed back open, consider the possibility that something interrupted the door safety sensors.