MobiLinc (iOS) version 4.1/4.2/4.3/4.4

InsteonNut

Hi Everyone,

We've submitted MobiLinc (Pro/HD/OML) v4.1 to Apple for approval! This is a MAJOR update and comes with the following features:
- iOS 7/8 support
- iPhone 6/6 Plus
- Widgets (Requires MobiLinc Connect) and TouchID!

What else is new:

- Added a MobiLinc Settings option to configure scene status as basic or with percentages. Basic scene status means that the scene is ON only when all devices in the scene report the Scene's ON Level definition. All other device status will result in an OFF status for the scene. To turn off percentage scene status and use basic scene status, set under MobiLinc->Settings->MobiLinc Settings.
- MobiLinc on the iPad now uses the forecasted HIGH and LOW temps for the weather readout in the upper right corner on the iPad.

Bug Fixes:
- Z-Wave:
--- Fixed a bug where the Z-Wave value wasn't reduced by the included divisor.
--- "Barrier" Type is now controllable.
--- "Scene Switch" Type is now controllable.
- Fixed the bug that prevented background images in MobiLinc HD from being select/used.
- Fixed a MobiLinc HD/OML IP Camera streaming bug that impacted the single camera view and RTSP streams on the iPad.
- Minor weather bug fixes.

Notice:
- For those using a Bluetooth headset and voice recognition, this combination currently does not work on iOS 8. We are working with our voice partners to find a solution.

We hope for a quick approval from Apple to get our new update in your hands. 

I'll update this post as soon as Apple approves the update!

Wes

[EDIT] Apple Approved MobiLinc Pro and MobiLinc HD on 12/11/2014. We are still waiting for Apple to review/approve Orchestrated MobiLinc.

[EDIT] Apple Approved Orchestrated MobiLinc on 1/4/2015.

[EDIT] Apple Approved our 4.2 update for all iOS apps to address Bluetooth headset issues on iOS 8 on 1/12/2015.

[EDIT] Apple Approved our 4.3 update for all iOS apps to address minor voice recognition issues on 1/23/2015.

[EDIT] Apple Approved our 4.4 update for all iOS apps on 2/8/2015.

iPhone6PlusWidgetsSmall.pngiPhone6PlusTouchIDSmall.pngiPhone6PlusDashboardSmall.png

• 2 weeks later...

Wes,

Previously, MobliLinc Connect was only used to simplify connecting the Mobilinc and the ISY remotely, and for GeoFencing Notifications. Why is MobiLinc Connect required for Widgets? I would have preferred to have purchased the Widgets as a plugin like the other features you've added in the past like camera and voice support, etc.    

Phil

Hi Phil,

Clarification: Geofencing and the geofence notification does not require MobiLinc Connect. If you want to do general push notifications for your devices, programs, variables, and security states then that requires MobiLinc Connect. The geofence boundary crossing notification is a "local" notification and does not require MobiLinc Connect.

Good question with a complicated answer mixed with my own personal opinions. The short answer is, it might not be possible to do as you suggest or wouldn't be approvable and we wanted to navigate an approach we thought had lower risk to getting through App Review. 

The longer answer is:

We opted to make widgets require MobiLinc Connect for a number of reasons. Creating a widget/TodayView app is an entirely separate app that gets bundled into the main MobiLinc app. That meant quite a bit of work we had to do on our end to support this feature including rebuilding our MobiLinc code base to fit into the TodayView/Widget constraints as an independant app/widget. It's very unclear if we would be allowed to charge for this feature. I haven't seen any developer charge for their widget add-on, but I do not know if that is because Apple won't allow that type of In-App purchase or if just no one has tried. There are fairly clear rules that strongly indicate that Apple will not allow In-App purchases for "core" iOS features. I take that TodayView is a "core" feature.

So with the expectation that TodayView if implemented is to be provided free to users, that leaves developers in a tough place. Many of the TodayView widgets out there aren't very good and I suspect the reason is because it's a 100% cost center for the developer. When I saw the potential of the TodayView, I knew there was good value here I could bring to MobiLinc, but it was going to require a lot of work to make it useful.

With that said, it *might* be possible to support an auto-discovery (UPnP search) for a direct IP connection from the TodayView to the ISY, but it's not as simple as that sounds nor are we 100% certain it's actually possible (there are unresolved questions in this space). The cleaner (at least initially) option is to use MobiLinc Connect so that MobiLinc knows it can reach the ISY regardless of network location or conditions, plus this kind of network activity we knew was allowed on the TodayView. If you've been following the ever changing App Review stance on the TodayView, you can understand why we'd want to reduce our risk in this area and take a clean approach to get this feature out and approved. Adding in direct IP support with MobiLinc Connect for the TodayView widgets would only greatly delay this feature plus we are looking for opportunities to add value to the subscription service where there is a clear advantage to the feature to use MobiLinc Connect.

Wes 

• 3 weeks later...

Wes,

I am an early adopter, before MobiLinc Connect was an option. As such I have set up a very nice service to deal with remotely getting to my ISY. Can you please explain what a Today view Widget is?

Am I to understand that if I subscribe to MobiLinc Connect, I can add the "run if" of a specific program to my iOS 8 notification screen, and thereby run the if of that program from the notification screen, even if the app is not loaded in memory? If I am understanding that right, you got yourself another subscriber here sir!

What can I add as widgets? Is is just like adding to dashboard? So on off of devices and scenes, and then the possibility of all program commands?

If this is true, and the app does not have to be running in the background, I will sign up within moments after your reply!

Hi Illusion,

For more info on the Today Widget, see our website here: http://mobilinc.com/features/TodayView/

Am I to understand that if I subscribe to MobiLinc Connect, I can add the "run if" of a specific program to my iOS 8 notification screen, and thereby run the if of that program from the notification screen, even if the app is not loaded in memory?

Yes, that is all correct!

So on off of devices and scenes, and then the possibility of all program commands?

Yes!

Subscribed and set up. Working brilliantly! Just fantastic.

For some time I have been wanting a super quick way to access just 4 functions of my ISY, but really really fast. Specifically, pause the ipod before I answer the phone. Accessing any kind of web interface or application just takes too long to be useful. Now the functions are always available with a quick swipe down. This is just terrific. Absolutely perfect. Nicely implemented. I look forward to being a long time subscriber!

Thank you again for the continued excellent product development, Wes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

MobiLinc 4.2 is now available in the App Store for Pro/HD/OML users.

4.2 is a minor update that addresses the following:

- Added control support for Z-Wave Multilevel devices.

- Fixed the voice recognition bluetooth headset issue on iOS 8.
- Updated the internal voice engine to allow for adjusting MobiLinc to the background noise levels. To set, go to Settings->Voice Control->Background Noise. 
--- 0 = Completely Silent Room.

--- 10 = Very noisy room with high levels of variable noise. 

Wes

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Wes.  Great product but it is shutting off my music app when start MobiLinc.

I am using Spotify in the car through Bluetooth

iPhone 6

iOS 8.1.2

MobiLinc v4.2.3

When Spotify is playing, if I start MobiLinc, Spotify pauses and doesn't restart until I switch to Spotify and hit play.  I've tried turning off Bluetooth (and all the voice controls) in Mobilinc and unchecked Enable Sounds in the Global settings as well.

Hi Wes.  Great product but it is shutting off my music app when start MobiLinc.

I am using Spotify in the car through Bluetooth

iPhone 6

iOS 8.1.2

MobiLinc v4.2.3

When Spotify is playing, if I start MobiLinc, Spotify pauses and doesn't restart until I switch to Spotify and hit play.  I've tried turning off Bluetooth (and all the voice controls) in Mobilinc and unchecked Enable Sounds in the Global settings as well.

I thought my ooTunes music app was just being flaky, but it's doing the same thing.

Hi Mitch and Nestor,

Thanks for the report. It looks like the iOS 8 update to the vocal engine is causing this. I've got a fix in place I'm testing now. There is an update in Apple's hands right now waiting for approval. This fix will be released after the one we're waiting on approval now.

Wes

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

Apple approved our 4.4 update this morning with the following changes:

- Added Settings->Lighting Controller->Hidden Items option to manage your hidden/disabled devices. You no longer have to download your ISY's configuration to restore hidden items.
- Displays Z-Wave thermostats using their formatted values. IE F or C as reported by the thermostat.
- Fixed an X10 issue with accessing the Advanced Options
- If a device or a scene has only one command set in MobiLinc, MobiLinc will always send that command when tapped.
- Fixed an issue where the second launch of MobiLinc would turn off music playing from other apps.
- Fixed the Z-Wave battery sensor display to report 0% and 100% instead of ON/OFF.

Wes

An "Update Only" sync preserves modifications to the settings. So, your hidden items still remain hidden. A full "Download All" will completely resync with the ISY which will erase and reset the MobiLinc configuration with your ISY. Same behavior as before the 4.4 update.

Keep in mind that if the auto-sync settings in MobiLinc are on, you shouldn't ever have to resync with your ISY. MobiLinc will do this each time on startup in the background (equivalent of Update Only).

Wes

Archived