Insteon On/Off Outlet 2663-222 Review

Teken

I noticed in the review there is a Load Sense feature.  I have not seen this before so am curious how this feature would be used.

With LoadSense technology, your On/Off Outlet can detect when you turn on a connected lamp or appliance and automatically turn on other INSTEON devices throughout your home; your table lamp just became an INSTEON switch.  

• 2 weeks later...

On the Insteon.com website. They have released the Developers Notes  on the dual outlet module. For all to download and indicated new things are in the works for the Developers Area.

That maybe why the developers  forums are again down.

The link below has a few that are now released to everyone.

http://www.insteon.com/developer-documentation-store/?tag=English

RF On/Off and  Power Line Communications On/Off are both covered in the Developers Notes.

On the Insteon.com website. They have released the Developers Notes  on the dual outlet module. For all to download and indicated new things are in the works for the Developers Area.

That maybe why the developers  forums are again down.

The link below has a few that are now released to everyone.

http://www.insteon.com/developer-documentation-store/?tag=English

RF On/Off and  Power Line Communications On/Off are both covered in the Developers Notes.

Yes, I saw that the other day and quickly down loaded a copy and printed them off!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for an excellent presentation. Vendors should do this well. Please retain this for future reference. 

Glad you liked the review!

I am hoping to do a few more as time allows and newer products are released. The primary goal is to share as much information about each product. If others decide to share their ISY programs to make the product more flexible, even better.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the nice review.  

Not sure I have a location for one of these, but it's great that they are available; what I'd really like is a dual LampLinc module.   We have several places where we have 2 or three dimmer modules in one location.   Luckily, I have some of the older modules with pass-thru outlets, so I can stack a new module on top of an older one in a single outlet space.

• 11 months later...

Hi Teken-

Nice post and thank you.

I know this is an old post but I just purchased and installed the On/Off Outlet.  My revision level is 7.1.  My actual product # is 2663-223 (Ivory I am guessing) vs 2663-222 (White I am guessing).

I see in your post and I am just curious if you know why the device graphic in the admin console (4.3.26) shows up similar to a switch rather than the old light bulb typically seen with an OutletLinc.  Is it because it can act as a controller too?

Thank you,

Craig.

Hi Teken-

Thanks for the clarification.

What do I use it for (besides the cool factor)?

I purchased and installed so I could control my holiday train set from an unswitched wall outlet.  My train setup consists of 2 controllers, a TIU and a WIU.  My manual procedure was to plug in the TIU first, let it boot, then plug in the WIU, let it boot, find, and connect to the TIU.  So I created 2 programs (maybe can be condensed into 1, haven't been able to figure it out yet), Train On and Train Off.  When control of my KeypadLinc button B is switched on, then I turn on the top outlet (powers on the TIU) followed by a 5 second delay and then turn on the bottom outlet (powers on the WIU).  Train Off performs the reverse.

Pretty simple for a sophisticated device but my wife likes it and she can turn on and run the train without having to deal with the plugs and controller order.

Is there a way I can create 1 program to accomplish what the 2 programs do?

Craig.

P.S. My 994i was at 4.2.18 and was having issues reading and communicating with my 2663-223, once upgraded to 4.3.26, reading and communications issues resolved.

I would think this could be done with a single program, yes.

Furthermore I would start be creating a scene between keypad button (controller) and outlet (with the TIU). The scene relationship would control the first outlet, then a program for the second outlet:

If

Control keypad button is switched on

Then

Wait x seconds

Set other outlet on

Else

Nothing

Thanks for the response oberkc.

That was actually my first thought and attempt too.  What I found was, the on sequence worked perfectly, the off sequenced shut down the TIU and left the WIU on.

Was browsing around the forum looking at programming and usage for motion sensors and found a post (http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Using_Motion_Sensors_in_Bathrooms) that gave a clue.  So I gave it a try and it seems to work, here is what I ended up with.  The below was actually my second attempt but I didn't have the second conditional statement which sends the program to the Else statements when switch off.  Without the second conditional statement nothing turned off (I had removed the TIU outlet from my scene).

If        Control 'Bar Switch / Bar Switch - B' is switched On    And Control 'Bar Switch / Bar Switch - B' is not switched OffThen        Set 'Train Outlet-1-Top' On        Wait 5 Seconds        Set 'Train Outlet-2-Bottom' OnElse        Set 'Train Outlet-2-Bottom' Off        Wait 5 Seconds        Set 'Train Outlet-1-Top' Off

Sorry. I missed the part about turning it off. Looks like you found a good way. This is how I would do it. Since you are using a program response for both outlets, a scene (as I suggested) would not be required and may prove troublesome in the future if you forget it is there.

Hi Teken-

Thanks for the clarification.

What do I use it for (besides the cool factor)?

I purchased and installed so I could control my holiday train set from an unswitched wall outlet.  My train setup consists of 2 controllers, a TIU and a WIU.  My manual procedure was to plug in the TIU first, let it boot, then plug in the WIU, let it boot, find, and connect to the TIU.  So I created 2 programs (maybe can be condensed into 1, haven't been able to figure it out yet), Train On and Train Off.  When control of my KeypadLinc button B is switched on, then I turn on the top outlet (powers on the TIU) followed by a 5 second delay and then turn on the bottom outlet (powers on the WIU).  Train Off performs the reverse.

Pretty simple for a sophisticated device but my wife likes it and she can turn on and run the train without having to deal with the plugs and controller order.

Is there a way I can create 1 program to accomplish what the 2 programs do?

Craig.

P.S. My 994i was at 4.2.18 and was having issues reading and communicating with my 2663-223, once upgraded to 4.3.26, reading and communications issues resolved.

Hello Craig,

I can't speak for anyone else but I sure would love to see some pictures or a video of this in action! 

Yeah, I'm a big kid too . . .

Ha . . .

OMG that was so freaking awesome can't get over the steam coming out of the engine! Incredible set up and detail on that whole set up the camera you're using is rendering excellent video too.

Thank you for taking the time to share that with me and the group. 

Archived