Motion sensor question

TheWabit

My first shot at programming with MS. Will this program reset the timer every time motion is sensed again? Based on my research it will. If so, please indicate why so I can confirm my knowledge:

If
        From    Sunset  -  1 hour
        To      Sunrise +  2 hours  (next day)
    And Control 'Office Sensor' is switched On

Then
        Wait  15 minutes
        Set 'Lamplinc' 8 (Beep Duration)
        Wait  10 seconds
        Set Scene 'Office Lamp' Off

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Yes.  Every ON command received will trigger a program evaluation.  At that point, it will run either true or false.  Any ongoing program execution will be halted.

Understand, too, that time is also a program trigger...once at the beginning time, and once at the end.  When triggered by the end time, or by the motion sensor past the end time, any running program will halt and the ELSE path will run.  This means that the scene will not be turned off.

If the motion sensor is in the scene it will be as a controller and turn on the other scene participants directly, with or without the program.

You want the program to control the action, so its best to leave the motion sensor out of the scene and let the program do the work.

One follow up question - Is it necessary to have both the responder (Lamplinc in this case) and the sensor in the scene? Or do I not need both?

This depends upon what you want to do. Your program covers night time but what about during the day. If you want the ms to always turn the lights on then use the scene, but set the ms to on only mode in the admin console. Scenes usually have a faster response than programs because there is direct device to device comm rather than waiting for the isy to run the program. The scene vs program questions was made in a post last week. Consensus is to use scenes when possible.

Consensus is actually all over the place. Well, actually in two directions. EricK is correct. If speed is of the essence, nothing is faster that a scene. But, you then depend on the characteristics of the Motion Sensor, for example, light/dark sensing and on duration, both of which require writing to the device.

A program allows you to schedule when the MS is active and easily change the duration as needed and even include conditions of your choice.

Keep it green in '15

Based upon your program, I assume you intend to constrain operation of the motion sensor relative to sunrise and sunset. This cannot be done through scenes and the inherent characteristics of the motion sensor. If this constraint is important to you, you MUST use a program.

If you are willing to give this up for the sake of responsiveness (but losing some flexibility), then scenes can be an option and, as others have pointed out, programs can become unnecessary.

"One follow up question - Is it necessary to have both the responder (Lamplinc in this case) and the sensor in the scene?"

If you are referring to your "office lamp" scene, then, no. You should NOT add the motion sensor to this scene.

Archived