MobiLinc - One of Two iPads Unable to Sync

pgreen

I am a long time user of the ISY and MobiLinc, with many devices and many ways in which to access them. Recently one of my iPad has lost communications with the ISY and is unable to complete a Sync. I have a 2nd iPad and an Android device running MobiLinc perfectly. From what I can tell the two iPads are set up identical but for some reason one can access ISY and the other can not. They are different iPads in that one has support for a SIM card and the other does not. That said they are both on local WiFi only but it is the iPad that supports a SIM that is not working. I have no idea if that is anyway associated with the issue. However, the problem seems to be one of a network connectivity for the iPad to specific devices on my network. Even when I try to access the ISY from a browser it can not find it. The iPad also unable to connect to just one of five different IP cameras on the network. I have re-boot the rotuer, the HP switch, the cameras, the ISY, iPAD, etc. I have ensured the router is not blocking. From the ipad that works I can ping the ISY from the ipad that is not work I can not ping the ISY but I can ping my router. All on the same subnet.

From my HP ProCurve 1800 switch I can ping the iPad that is working, I can not ping the iPad that is not working. Both iPads are about to connect to the Netgear R7000 router web management interface. And both IPads have no trouble accessing the Internet. The Ipad can access 4 of the 5 cameras on the network too. I have tried both DHCP and static IP addresses on the iPad and no difference in operation.

Any ideas on next steps in troubleshooting?

Peter Green

Hi Peter,

This does sound like a network/iPad issue, but the only thing I can think of to ask at this point is to verify that the non-connected iPad is actually connected to the same Wi-Fi SSID as the working iPad. Sometimes routers offer a "guest" network that's isolated from the rest of the network which might explain what you are seeing.

Also, make sure that not only is the SSID the same, but the iPad is actually connecting to the router the ISY is plugged directly into and not a Wi-Fi extender. If you have extenders, please power them off to ensure that the iPad can only connect to your main router's Wi-Fi.

Wes

Wes thanks for pointing me in the general direction to look a little closed at the wifi settings on the router.

I have been able to determined that problem was associated with the WiFi Multimedia (WMM) settings under QoS Setup on the Netgear R7000 router. I disabled the WMM setting and now everything is working again. I don't even remember enabling this but it is on by default so maybe when I did an update it may have defaulted to on again.  I have all my cameras accessible vs 4 of 5, I have full access to MobiLinc and I ping my switch again. Clearly there must be some QoS setting issue with the new iPads which does not align Netgear, as my older iPad was not experiencing this issue. The really odd thing is that there is not that much traffic on my network so would not have expected the QoS setting to actually cause traffic to drop.

Peter

Archived