Monitoring Temperature In A Refrigerator

smokegrub

As a side note, I own two Whirlpool uprights and both have the same problem, icing up. The problem is clearly a manufacturing defect but Whirlpool offers no relief unless the refrigerator is under warranty or has a service contract. I purchased a service agreement, waited the required timeframe, and had one of the units serviced (Whirlpool recommended this course of action). The problem was a defective mother board. The unit has had no problems since service. I will do the same for the second this summer. Thanks for the feedback.

I own a frost-free upright freezer and the control board went dead last year. I was quite surprised that the replacement board was only about $80 and plugged right  in from the front of the door. I was pleasantly surprised, s I was prepared to break all the snap buttons off the door liner and dig through the insulation to get at the connector.

ISY came to rescue again on this one!

I found the series contact from the PCB and bypassed it, locking the compressor system on. Then I plugged the freezer into an Insteon  On/Off Module

I wrote a program on ISY to control it using outside temperature compensation to adjust the On/Off cycle ratio from 30% to 70% of the time, depending on outside temperature. It took some experimenting with the cycle time but did the job while I waited 2-3 weeks for the ordered part to arrive.

I was surprised that Whirlpool makes all the brands except for a European brand or two. I was told by a few that 6 years is the expected life of an major appliance since they bought everybody. Don't tell my 35 year old Maytag laundry machines but that was before Whirlpool bought them too.

I have a Sears chest freezer and Frigidaire refrigerator that are both more than 25 years old and going strong. The "more technologically advanced" features being built into contemporary devices are inversely proportional to their life expectancy!

You are probably just "under the wire" before the planned obsolescence  marketing hit.

I love the new "Energy Conscious" programs going on with the new appliances. We have incentives they will pick up your old appliance for free if you buy a new one and the old one is fully working. I dumped my 18 cu foot freezer measured at 550 kWh/year for a new 14 cu. ft. unit rated at 765 kWh / year, high efficiency.

I have fridge that didn't have the "Energy Star" approval but was rated at about 75% of the lowest energy usage "Energy Star" rated fridge in the same size class. It was cheaper due to not purchasing the "Energy Star" rating label. I shopped hard 'cause I was putting it on solar only while I built my home.

Archived