New CREE led bulbs

Techman

I wouldn't do that myself.  You are looking at a lot of futsing around to get that to work and it is probably not going to work anywhere near as smooth as Insteon at least when using ISY and other Insteon stuff.

Personally, I would get regular Cree light bulbs ($10/ea) and use Insteon lamplinc modules.   

Network module is a nice thing to have though.

The GE bulb looks like it uses Zigbee.  So perhaps the ISY with the zigbee radio would work directly with them.  Not sure.

The Hue bulbs don't say anything about a protocol.  So perhaps the network module could be used to integrate depending on the details.  But using the network module means using programs to control the bulb rather than scenes.  This always has a lag.

apostolakisl,

Thank you for the feedback and suggestions. I guess I got a bit over excited when I say the GE kit on sale (got to love a sale!). More thought needs to go into what exactly I want to accomplish. 

Thanks!

Dale

Hello Techman,

Thank you for the feedback. I just don't like the $50.00 each price tag of the LampLinc modules. Since I do have some X10 lamp modules, I'll give them a try to see if they will dim the LED bulbs I already have. I wasn't thinking about using the X10 modules for this.

Dale

Hello Techman,

Thank you for the feedback. I just don't like the $50.00 each price tag of the LampLinc modules. Since I do have some X10 lamp modules, I'll give them a try to see if they will dim the LED bulbs I already have. I wasn't thinking about using the X10 modules for this.

Dale

Hi Dale

The plus side to the (dual band) LampLinc modules is that they also work as a range extender. As you build out your Insteon network they help to improve reliability with wireless devices and the system in general. Unfortunately you just missed the Smarthome 20% off Memorial Day sale.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Techman,

Sorry for the delay. Thank you for your reply and information.

In hindsight I'm glad I didn't take advantage of the Memorial Day sale. I picked up (as per my post last night) a bunch of stuff for 50% off at Wally World :)

Btw, for those of you near an IKEA, their LED bulbs are $4.49 for the 60 watt equivalent bulbs.

In the past 6 months they have been on a 50% off sale twice.

They dim very smoothly using standard Lutron dimmers. I have them in my ceiling fans and other fixtures.

Btw, for those of you near an IKEA, their LED bulbs are $4.49 for the 60 watt equivalent bulbs.

In the past 6 months they have been on a 50% off sale twice.

They dim very smoothly using standard Lutron dimmers. I have them in my ceiling fans and other fixtures.

You may want to try the IKEA bulbs with an Insteon dimmer. Some of the brands I've tried either don't dim well or have a tendency to buzz at low light levels.  

Archived