Massive communications failure.

jrini

Recently I had an electrical failure in one room of my house.  The electrician disconnected the ceiling fan controller (Model: 2475F) in that room when he was trying to isolate the problem.  After the problem was corrected the ceiling fan controller was reinstalled.

While the fan controller was out of the wiring, numerous other Insteon devices were not communicating with the ISY 994i.  Since the fan controller was replaced 16 of the installed Insteon devices are not communicating with the ISY 994i.

I have tried the “Write Updates to Device” and the “Restore Device” commands with no effect.

I have Firmware rev 4.2.28 and UI rev 4.2.2 installed.

What must I do to re-establish communications between the Insteon devices and the ISY994i?

Unless that was a typo the UI must be updated to the 4.2.28 level.

Start with a check of the devices used to couple the two 120v legs with the 4 tap Set button press beacon test.

Make sure the devices are powered and perhaps were switched to a different 120v leg by the electrician.

1)  I did type in the wrong UI the correct rev level is 4.2.28

2)  I just repeated the 4 tap operation with my two "Access Points".  They appear to be communicating properly.

3)  The "FanLincs" are controlling the fans and associated lights.

4)  The electrician very definitely did not change the phases of any equipment except possibly the refrigerator..  This house has all of the Basement and first floor on one phase and all of the second floor on the other phase.  Because I am using an older CRT I am very conscious of transients.  So after the electrician corrected the initial problem, I had him install a separate 20 Amp circuit for the refrigerator.

There is one difference from prior days.

From last Thursday after the electrician completed his work until this morning, I have been getting 16 "Cannot communicate with..." messages.  When I started to respond to your several questions I started the Admin Console.  I got no "Cannot communicate with..." messages.  Instead I got a message that "Your System Was Started In Safe Mode".  Some 60 minutes after getting that message I just restarted the Admin Console and got the same message.

So tomorrow I will be looking at the PLM.

Always power up the PLM first and allow it to fully initialize. Then power up the ISY Interface. So it can find the PLM.

If the system works for awhile then stops working again. The PLM {well documented here and on the Insteon Forums} has failed. Mine did the same thing.

Two years three month old. 2413S. Got worse as it warmed up.

I have learned that:  “The PLM was inadvertently unplugged and plugged back in last week.”  While the electrician, and other workmen were here.  Could that explain the sixteen “Cannot communicate with ….” Messages that I was receiving from last Thursday thru Saturday?

I found the PLM unplugged this morning.  There was a pile of boxes in front of it.  Unfortunately, I immediately plugged it back in.  I am still getting the:  “Your system is in safe mode….” Messages.

What must I do now to recover?

I found the PLM unplugged this morning.  There was a pile of boxes in front of it.  Unfortunately, I immediately plugged it back in.  I am still getting the:  “Your system is in safe mode….” Messages.

What must I do now to recover?

unplug the ISY wait ten seconds then plug it back in

Archived