Find address of module

mbam

Somehow I managed to lose one of my inline modules. Physically it is located in a junction box behind a ceiling fan on a 16' foot ceiling so the last thing i want to do is dig out the ladder and climb up there. 

It is possible I never had it entered in my ISY but had it linked directly to a keypad. I had to swap the keypad for an 8 button and don't see the module to re link it.

I do have the old keypad and it still controls the fan. I looked at the links in the keypad hoping I could find the module address but I don't see anything that looks like it could be it. 

Do I have to dig out my ladder?

mbam

Not what you want to hear, but I think "yes".  What you are seeing, I think, is a unique scene address for the button and fan to use together.

To connect it to the ISY, you either need

• The module address, or
  • Put it in linking mode

Both of these are a trip up the ladder. Hopefully someone like Lee will come along and prove me wrong, but from my understanding of Insteon and having a few of these beasties buried in fixtures and above the ceiling in low voltage lighting, there is no other way.

Paul

If you can post the old KPL link table and the button that is controlling the InLineLinc I may be able to identify the Insteon address.  The KPL could have part of a link (the Group Broadcast without the Group Cleanup Direct) so it may not be possible.  If the full link is there it should be possible.  

Somehow I managed to lose one of my inline modules. Physically it is located in a junction box behind a ceiling fan on a 16' foot ceiling so the last thing i want to do is dig out the ladder and climb up there. 

It is possible I never had it entered in my ISY but had it linked directly to a keypad. I had to swap the keypad for an 8 button and don't see the module to re link it.

You can also try running the Topology Report (Tools | Generate Topology) from the ISY which will show you all the modules installed and their respective addresses assuming they were installed via the ISY

Up the ladder wasn't so bad, I was able to clean the fan while i was up there lol

I almost panicked, the address label was gone but i found in in the cover for the fan!

This is why every new Insteon device I receive I place a small piece of clear tape over the address. Sometimes depending upon orientation or if the label mounted on the back I always make a new label and affix it to the body somewhere else.

The last step is I always take a picture of the device and the final installation location. I did this for insurance reasons and for long term look up if trouble shooting was going to be needed.

The link table is not helpful.  All the buttons point to the PLM, as they should, with no additional links to other devices.

That does not mean the InlineLinc cannot respond.  If it has a Responder link for the KPL the InlineLinc will react to the initial Group Broadcast message from the KPL which has no specific device address.  The Group Broadcast message is not ACKed by the Responders so there is no means of tracking the InlineLinc address. 

This is why every new Insteon device I receive I place a small piece of clear tape over the address. Sometimes depending upon orientation or if the label mounted on the back I always make a new label and affix it to the body somewhere else.

The last step is I always take a picture of the device and the final installation location. I did this for insurance reasons and for long term look up if trouble shooting was going to be needed.

Those are all really good ideas, I really need to plan a little better when I do this stuff.

Those are all really good ideas, I really need to plan a little better when I do this stuff.

We are all guilty of this sort of thing. But, after having to scale a 25 foot ladder in the dead of winter while it was -45'C. You really do start to learn what NOT to do!

These are just best practices to make your life easier and safer during those older years. Any time you break past 10 feet on a ladder is something you really have to consider.

At 16 feet if you fell down on a hard surface and depending upon how you landed it could be very dangerous. At 25 feet breaking your hip, leg, arm, or even your neck is possible.

Glad you got it all sorted out . . .

This is a great idea, thanks for sharing!

I guess my next project I'm going to do is inventory each device I have along with their ID, location, purchase price, and receipt. This will come in handy next time I have to place a warranty replacement, or an insurance claim.

Archived