PLM just failed after installing new module

JSP0511

Hello,

I just purchased and installed the irrigation module.  After the ISY rebooted and I logged back into the admin console, I received a message that the system was in safe mode due to lack of communication with the PLM.  I tried unplugging the PLM as well as changing the wire to the ISY and nothing.  I noticed that the led light on the PLM is not lighting up when I plug the PLM in or press the set button on the side.

Can anyone offer any suggestions or is it time for a new PLM?  

It's just a bit weird that I did not touch anything as far as the hardware and the PLM just failed in this case.

Thank you,

Jerry

Hello,

I just purchased and installed the irrigation module.  After the ISY rebooted and I logged back into the admin console, I received a message that the system was in safe mode due to lack of communication with the PLM.  I tried unplugging the PLM as well as changing the wire to the ISY and nothing.  I noticed that the led light on the PLM is not lighting up when I plug the PLM in or press the set button on the side.

Can anyone offer any suggestions or is it time for a new PLM?  

It's just a bit weird that I did not touch anything as far as the hardware and the PLM just failed in this case.

Thank you,

Jerry

Hello Jerry,

Is the PLM near the two year mark? If so its more than likely its internal capacitors have failed. There is a link where some great folks have provided the specified parts and values needed to bring your unit back to life.

If the unit is within the two year mark engage Smarthome as they will assist you in the RMA process for a replacement unit. If the unit is out of warranty you can definitely follow the capacitor replacement procedure. 

Original thread is listed here: http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/13866-repair-of-2413s-plm-when-the-power-supply-fails/

I believe the ISY controller only checks for a PLM at power up or on a reboot.

So it is possible the PLM had failed before the Network Module was installed and when the reboot was done. The PLM was no longer responding.

New PLM is needed but if less than two years old. Use your two year warranty to get a replacement. The present hardware V2.0 and above. Have a beefed up power supply.

Proper way to power up. Is plug in the PLM and wait until it has initialized. Thirty seconds is more than enough. Then power up the ISY controller. 

If the PLMs LED is off. Another indication the PLM has failed.

Mine when it failed. Would work maybe thirty minutes and quit. If I removed the power and then waited for maybe thirty minutes. It again would work for a short time. I did the replacement caps fix and it has been stable for a few months again.

After about an hour of just leaving it alone, everything seems back to normal. I will update if anything else changes. Thank you everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How old is the PLM?  It sounds like the PLM power supply is failing.

Anything over two years old is the time they start failing.

Mine was two years three months. Started like yours is. Power down for an hour or so and it would again work.

It will get worse and getting a new one before it dies completely. Would be a good thing to do.

Slightly off topic.

I have a 2443 Hardware version 2.5 Access Point. It died this morning; no LED indications.

Built on the same 2413S PLM main board.

I will be looking at it today but suspect it will be the same set of capacitors that killed my 2413S PLM.

Mine when it failed. Would work maybe thirty minutes and quit. If I removed the power and then waited for maybe thirty minutes. It again would work for a short time. I did the replacement caps fix and it has been stable for a few months again.

Glad to know PLM failure can be intermittent and not catastrophic power failure (i.e. no LED) .  Beginning of week started having issues with my 4yr old PLM (v1.4 1051 date code) LED light was on but dim - guess it lasted way past the 2yr MTBF.  PLM would work after rebooting PLM/ISY for about 5min then nothing.  Swapped with a new V2.0 PLM yesterday.   Gonna order the caps to do the repair to have a backup PLM...    

Archived