Under Cabinet LED Strip

flsenior

I am trying to resolve a couple issues with an under cabinet led strip.  First, I had the strip (a dimmable type) plugged into an OutletLinc Dimmer - INSTEON 2472D.  In the off mode, the strip would pulse on/off.  I could turn it on with no problems.

I then changed to an INSTEON Outletlinc 2473S On/Off Outlet.  The llights will flicker, almost like a lightning flash when in the off position.

The led strip is 6' long.

Finally, last night I plugged the led into the lower, non-controlled outlet on the 2473S.  I don't know if it is a coincidence but I lost communications with a number of devices on both phases in my house.  I had to manually reset one of the 2477 dimmers in order to get it to respond to the ISY. 

Questions:

1.  Any idea what is the cause of the problems with the 2472D or 2473S?

2.  Is it likely that the problems with the devices last night was caused by noise from the led?

Questions:

1.  Any idea what is the cause of the problems with the 2472D or 2473S?

2.  Is it likely that the problems with the devices last night was caused by noise from the led?

Many Insteon units use solid-state switching to provide dimming and quiet operation. The solid state switching usually has enough leakage, when off, to light up sensitive LED lights to visibility. With a heavier loading incandescent bulb this leakage isn't enough to do this. If an incandescent bulb can be paralleled with the LEDs the problem usually goes away.

Many of the power supplies today use high frequency switching to get the size of the transformer down to miniature sizes. This can produce a lot of noise on power lines, especially if some filtration in the units is getting weak. Just a guess, but I would say the LED power supply was involved, especially when switching the whole unit on and off.

1. Local Control Sensing current can cause the issues you are seeing.

You could temporarily try adding a small incandescent load. Like a 4 watt night light to the output. If things get better. It was the Local Control Sensing current causing the issues. Turning Off the Local Control Sensing in the Insteon Modules setup does not remove the current. The module just ignores the local load cycling off and back on again.

2. I would also agree. The noise from the LED load could cause the problems. Another possibility would be the LED is a signal sucker and absorbed the signals. Many LED devices use a simple AC rated capacitor across the power input. It works to prevent the LED's electronics noise from getting back on to the power lines but also will absorb Insteon and X10 power line signals.

A Filterlinc may help if it is noise or signal sucking. By isolating the load from the Insteon device.

When LED Xmas lights first made an appearance on the scene about 3 years ago, I had problems with them not shutting off completely.  Even though they were supposed to be off, they still glowed faintly due to leakby current.   So I took a unused 120v to low voltage (i.e. 6, 12 volt) transformer and cut the low voltage side to about 2 inches long and taped off the ends.  I then plugged it into the same power strip with the lights to give it a slightly larger load than the Xmas lights.   This solved my problem of them not shutting off.

Not saying that this will help your problem but it is worth the try.   Just plug in a low voltage transformer without cutting off the secondary wire.  If it works, then cut off the load wires and tape them.

I am sure that you have an unused transformer from an old video game or phone.

The 2472D is a dimmer and it would not be a good idea to use an old transformer as a fix. Inductive and switching supply wall warts. Are not designed to be on a dimmer circuit.

The 2473S is an On Off type and an old  transformer should work.

Archived