Com Issues With Open/Close Sensor 2843-222

I already know that my communication issues are due to the physical layout of the project... Just looking for help finding a workaround.

We're in the process of re-landscaping the front driveway and plan to add gates, so slowly adding everything that comes with that.

I wanted to create a sensor for the mailbox since we have to switch to a lock-box style postal box.

I got that 2843-222 and tested it out by running to the end of the driveway and testing the open/close to see if I got the push notifications like I had set up. I did.

Next step was to test out inside the mailbox while sitting out in the driveway (since a metal box probably isn't kind on letting RF through it). It did work, but inconsistently.

I tried adding an Insteon Range Extender outdoors during the test to see if it made a difference - it didn't.

Is there any way to wire an external antenna out of the 2843?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being an RF device, the 2843 won't work well in a metal enclosure. I'm not aware of anyone who added an antenna, but if you try, it should be tuned to about 900 Mhz.

How far away from the mailbox was the range extender when you tested it?. 

Adding an external antenna might be somewhat of a challenge as you would have to remove the internal antenna and then solder coax to the board and then attach a 915mhz antenna to the other end of the coax. You also need to ground the outer conductor of the coax, ideally to the circuit board, which may be difficult without a schematic.

You best solution would be to get a range extender close to the mailbox. You could install In in a outdoor outlet with a plastic enclosure to protect he device which would also let the signal in and out.

The mailbox is about 100 feet away from the nearest outdoor electrical outlet.

What about getting a second Open/Close sensor, mounting it on the outside in a waterproof enclosure and then running connecting the two via wires for the external contact closure connection?

An external plastic weatherproof enclosure should work plus a contact closure should work. You can use the metal mailbox as one "wire."

What about getting a second Open/Close sensor, mounting it on the outside in a waterproof enclosure and then running connecting the two via wires for the external contact closure connection?

You wouldn't need a 2nd open;/close sensor. The sensor has a set of contacts that you could connect to a set of alarm contacts which you could mount inside the mailbox then just mount your open/close sensor outside of the box in a non-metallic waterproof enclosure.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I ended up mounting the Open/Close sensor to the side of the garage and then running extra wire leftover from our dogs' invisible fence in ground to the mailbox for an external dry contact.

Here's where it get tricky:

Unless the mailbox opens all the way, I can't get it to make contact and thus trigger the sensor. I also tried using the metal of the mailbox as one "wire" but it's a large parcel box (similar to the blue USPS mailboxes but about half the size) and the metal has coating on it that makes it non-conductive.

So, I'm thinking about a tilt sensor to be used to trigger the contact for the wires running back to the open/close sensor. I've seen a few videos online of some examples where a small and cheap cylinder triggers a contact...but can't seem to figure out one that would work for the application I'm trying. I'm wanting to hook up the wires that run into the mailbox and then mount it on the back side of opening so that if the handle is pulled down and hatch opens, it triggers the contact.

Ideas on which one or what to use? Has anyone else tried this?

I already know that my communication issues are due to the physical layout of the project... Just looking for help finding a workaround.

We're in the process of re-landscaping the front driveway and plan to add gates, so slowly adding everything that comes with that.

I wanted to create a sensor for the mailbox since we have to switch to a lock-box style postal box.

I got that 2843-222 and tested it out by running to the end of the driveway and testing the open/close to see if I got the push notifications like I had set up. I did.

Next step was to test out inside the mailbox while sitting out in the driveway (since a metal box probably isn't kind on letting RF through it). It did work, but inconsistently.

I tried adding an Insteon Range Extender outdoors during the test to see if it made a difference - it didn't.

Is there any way to wire an external antenna out of the 2843?

Get a PVC or plastic mailbox.

or

Install a PVC conduit wiring box on the back of the mail box and put wiring there. If your mailman sees exposed wiring you may not get mail anymore until you hide it..

Archived