New to ISY994 and Insteon (mini-remote 4 scene)

brianp6621

Where the PLM is located and what obstacles are in its RF path can also effect the distance.

If you look at the carefully worded specifications. It always gives you the maximum distances. It is in open space with NO obstacles in the RF path.

My 2413S can only reach one Access Point and no Dual Band module. Due to where it is mounted.

Absolutely, and also note the PLM should not be installed on the same circuit as other devices like computers, printers, UPS, etc.

I am very limited in my PLM location. It is unfortunately plugged into the same outlet as my entire home theater setup. This is the only place that has IR visibility (to use the ISY with my HT remote) and has network connectivity (this is where my cable modem and router are for the entire house).

If I hold the miniremote right next to the PLM, the miniremote could control my outside on/off modules >100ft away. However the PLM couldn't control them at all (via RF) and I had to be choosy with where to put the wireless extender indoors to make sure it was within RF range to bridge my phases. I don't actually know how strong the RF on the 2413s is supposed to be but it isn't as strong or is interfered with differently than my miniremote.

I am going to begin building out my interior Insteon install now (6 247DDs, 3 hidden door sensors, 1 Kwikset 910 Zwave deadbolt on order) and as long as it keeps working, I'm ok with it.

I am very limited in my PLM location. It is unfortunately plugged into the same outlet as my entire home theater setup. This is the only place that has IR visibility (to use the ISY with my HT remote) and has network connectivity (this is where my cable modem and router are for the entire house).

If I hold the miniremote right next to the PLM, the miniremote could control my outside on/off modules >100ft away. However the PLM couldn't control them at all (via RF) and I had to be choosy with where to put the wireless extender indoors to make sure it was within RF range to bridge my phases. I don't actually know how strong the RF on the 2413s is supposed to be but it isn't as strong or is interfered with differently than my miniremote.

I am going to begin building out my interior Insteon install now (6 247DDs, 3 hidden door sensors, 1 Kwikset 910 Zwave deadbolt on order) and as long as it keeps working, I'm ok with it.

Hello Brian,

I would humbly suggest you purchase a few Insteon FilterLincs from Smarthome. This will help filter out the bulk of the media noise makers / signal suckers from your circuit.

Keep in mind you may need a few because the largest unit only supports 10 amps. Building out your Insteon network will in the long run definitely improve the mesh network in the home.

Enjoy . . . 

Hello Brian,

I would humbly suggest you purchase a few Insteon FilterLincs from Smarthome. This will help filter out the bulk of the media noise makers / signal suckers from your circuit.

Keep in mind you may need a few because the largest unit only supports 10 amps. Building out your Insteon network will in the long run definitely improve the mesh network in the home.

Enjoy . . . 

I'll definitely be looking into that if I have further communication issues.

Archived