Suddenly having strange issues...please help.

jmed999

This is just out of control. Now the issues have become even worse. Programs show as run (with devices showing as updated) in the admin panel but the devices didn't change at all. Every time I connect to the admin panel now, it says that it fails to connect to nearly all of the devices and I get red exclamation points. I did a query last night and it took an hour to clear those exclamations. Things worked well overnight until this AM and I am having the same problems again. I confirmed that I have version 1 of the 2413S.

I guess I am going to try a new PLM. Does anyone know if the one at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Insteon-2413S-PowerLinc-Dual-Band-Interface/dp/B002X8W4SI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439737204&sr=8-1&keywords=Insteon+2413S) for $62 with Prime Shipping is the same as the $80 one from SmartHome (http://www.smarthome.com/powerlinc-modem-insteon-2413s-serial-interface-dual-band.html) which usually takes over a week to arrive?

Thanks. 

They are stated as coming from amazon.com shipping and not SH if you proceed to the last step without committing to the sale..

I definitely agree about the borrowed time.

The seller on Amazon is listed as "Insteon". Neither the Amazon listing nor the SmartHome one specifically says it is V.2. We can assume that the one from SmartHome is V.2 and you are correct that I am taking a chance with the one from Amazon. But for a $20 savings and faster shipping, it is worth it to me to try. I can always return it through Amazon if it is V.1.

As a side note (in case this helps others), for the last 5+ years I have had the PLM in the unfiltered outlet of a FilterLinc (with the filtered outlet being used for the UPS and then all of my Den A/V equipment. I only have one double wall outlet and I couldn't fit the PLM in on and the FilterLinc in the other. But now I am thinking that maybe the FilterLinc is broken. So I put the filterlinc on a short heavy-duty extension cord connected to the top outlet (and the UPS is in the filtered outlet of the filterlinc) and the PLM is now connected directly to the bottom outlet. This is the final piece to do troubleshooting with process of elimination. Again, I am just letting others know in case it helps them.

I will probably order a new PLM anyway (after so many years and the availability of a newer version, it may ease my stress) but we will see if this also helped.

I got my last 2413S from Amazon from the same page you linked to.

It was a fresh brand new PLM. Hardware 2.1 firmware 9E.

I also saved $18.00 over the Smarthome sales site and free shipping. Though I was not a two day delivery  Prime Member.

Sounds like I got the same or almost same version as Brian H. The PLM I purchased from Amazon on 6/6/2015 is labeled "2413S V2.1 1514" and has firmware v9E.

Thank you both for confirming the above seller has fresh stock from Smarthome. I think its highly likely unless a business is not selling a lot of Insteon products that what is on the shelf is current production. Having said this its never a surprise to see older items being sold because it simply doesn't move like other products like switches, outlets, and plugin modules.

Great to see a seller pass along a nice $18.00 saving to the general public!

First time I tried to purchase it. They where marked more stock expected shortly and it directed me to another Amazon seller. I waited until  Amazon had more. As I was mostly interested in the hardware 2.? changes and the older one I rebuilt was working just fine.

The PLM I received from Amazon (months ago) is V2 with 9E firmware. AFAIK, the PLM does not solve the ALL ON problem. That's been addressed by removing the command from Insteon devices. It's been awhile since I've experienced an ALL ON (with the new PLM), but my newest devices were not affected.

Indeed thanks everyone. My main PLM lost some links this weekend - no other symptoms. It's about 3 years old - so I've preemptively ordered a replacement. Nice to save some $$ and still get the latest and greatest. It just sucks that I'll have to get up a ladder for my motion sensors for the PLM switch.

For those keeping tabs, taking the PLM out of the unfiltered outlet on the filterlinc didn't work. Well, it worked for a few minutes but that was probably because I had unplugged it and plugged it back in. I lost connections to over 75% of my devices and querying them doesn't help. My new PLM from Amazon is expected today. Does anyone have any specific advice on the best way to install the replacement? 

Here is the procedure to correctly replace the PLM.

http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:File_Menu#Replace_Modem_.28PLM.29

If you can read the hardware revision and date code. Found on the white sticker on the back of the new PLM.

and the Firmware revision reported in the PLM Info/Status  found in the Tools Menu

It would give us information on what the latest hardware and firmware now shipping.

Here is the procedure to correctly replace the PLM.

http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:File_Menu#Replace_Modem_.28PLM.29

If you can read the hardware revision and date code. Found on the white sticker on the back of the new PLM.

and the Firmware revision reported in the PLM Info/Status  found in the Tools Menu

It would give us information on what the latest hardware and firmware now shipping.

Thanks for the link but I was actually wondering if there were some more pointers. For example, is it better to delete the existing PLM first to clear out any "junk"? I am worried that with all the errors, it is possible some of my devices actually have some bad programming. I would love to start fresh (though not by going to each switch and certainly not by rebuilding my ISY file). Thanks.

Also. the PLM was just delivered to my office from Amazon. It is the 2413S. V2.1 and says 1505 under it. I will do the replacement when I get home tonight. Is that the newest version?

gadgetfreak

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER     DELETE PLM!!!!!  

That is the latest hardware level.    After the change to the new PLM, Tools | Diagnostics | PLM Info/Status will show PLM firmware.

There is a recovery process if the PLM is Deleted but it requires current ISY Backup and is not always successful. 

Why is that bad? Why would I want the old PLM address in each of my existing devices?

Long story short doing so essentially mimics you hard resetting all devices in your home where there is no association with one another. Any programs you have created thus far will point to nothing.

When you use the replace PLM the system will delete the old PLM and replace it with the new one automatically and thus keeping all associated programming, links, scenes, etc.

But if you want to waste time go ahead . . .

Switching to a new PLM after doing a Delete PLM does not restore the PLM activity.  Delete PLM has removed all PLM references in the ISY configuration as well as removing PLM Controller links in each device.  Simply switching to a new PLM DOES NOT restore the PLM information in the ISY nor the devices.

PLEASE DO NOT DELETE PLM.  YOU WILL BE VERY SORRY FOR THAT ACTION.

Switching to a new PLM after doing a Delete PLM does not restore the PLM activity.  Delete PLM has removed all PLM references in the ISY configuration as well as removing PLM Controller links in each device.  Simply switching to a new PLM DOES NOT restore the PLM information in the ISY nor the devices.

PLEASE DO NOT DELETE PLM.  YOU WILL BE VERY SORRY FOR THAT ACTION.

To add more clarification to what LeeG has posted.

In my humble opinion if you have a small Insteon network of less than five devices and very few programs / scenes. Its really not the end of the world as its just a small amount of time.

If on the other hand you have extensive programs, scenes, and Insteon network. The small amount of time will seem like years when you have to recreate all the links, scenes, and associate all the programs to the missing devices etc.

But, if the above is not germain to your current situation by all means follow through . . .

the PLM was just delivered to my office from Amazon. It is the 2413S. V2.1 and says 1505 under it.

That is the latest hardware level.

As I think my PLM is dying, I received a new one from Amazon as well (this morning on Prime).

Mine is hardware rev V2.1, but the date code is later at 1514. I assume the date code is YYWW....

Michael.

Mine is hardware rev V2.1, but the date code is later at 1514. I assume the date code is YYWW....

Michael.

Yes . . .

It should be noted this was reversed in some hardware / years of production. The most famous was the cryptic values stuck on with some $0.00000000000001 label maker!

OK. I am home and I followed the steps to physically replace the PLM. It took about 5 minutes and I had 5 errors for devices that it couldn't communicate with and now show red exclamation points. I am now on the admin screen where it says system ready. I did NOT yet do replace modem yet all of my devices (except for those 5) are responsive to commands and are properly reporting their state.

So what happened? Why didn't I need to do the Replace PLM? Should I do it now?

Thx.

OK, here is the update. Took about an hour + and two tries but the restore completed. I was left with around 20% of the devices with either red exclamations or green flags. I went through each of those and did a "write updates". All but one device cleared.

Under diagnostics, it looks like I have V9E. Is that good?

And the big test is when I launch the admin console. I always hold my breath to find out how many devices will have problems on startup that I will need to manually fix. I tested twice and there were no errors on startup. This is a good sign but, when I unplugged the old one on Sunday and rebooted it, I also was OK for a while so only time will tell.

As I wrote this, a final write update on that last device was successful and I am now free of all flags. I logged out and back in and still have no errors. I will stay cautiously optimistic that my issue was solved.

I just want to take this opportunity to thank all of you for your help. I have certainly tried to provide information to help others but clearly received more help than I gave. And you are all so patient and kind (unlike other boards I have seen). I look forward to continuing to be a member here and appreciate all of you.

I just want to take this opportunity to thank all of you for your help. I have certainly tried to provide information to help others but clearly received more help than I gave. And you are all so patient and kind (unlike other boards I have seen). I look forward to continuing to be a member here and appreciate all of you.

ISY    RULES!!!

Archived