Lost communication

pmwill

My ISY994i has been running Insteon controllers without problem and suddenly today I get the error 'Unable to communicate with' all of the devices.  I tried re-booting the ISY. The console indicates that the PLM is 'connected'.  I tried deleting a couple of the devices and tried to link again and it does not find them. I am not sure how to trouble-shoot this.

I bought a new PLM when I upgraded to the 994 when the 99 support stopped. I guess it may be more than 2 years. I do not understand what you mean in #2. I have re-booted the ISY and also unplugged the PLM and pressed reset. I am not sure how to check the PLM. I did query it and it said 'connected'.

Please select Tools -> Diagnostics -> Show PLM Link Table. Select *Start* and report back how many link records are present.

When this task is completed select *Count* and indicate what the number is. Please also indicate how many Insteon devices you have and how many are KPL's.

(2.) Unplug PLM and power down ISY994i.

Wait at least 15 seconds.

Power up the PLM and let it completely initializes.

Then power up the ISY994i to allow it to find the PLM.

If you actually did a factory reset on the PLM. I would suspect the test Teken indicated will have a Link Database count close to zero.

Any 2413S PLM over two years old. Can have a power supply failure and not function correctly. Dim or not illuminated LED is one indication of a failure. Another is a blank Link Database.

Smarthome recently updated the power supply capacitors, I have seen hardware version  1.C and above mentioned.  In hopes of correcting the failures. Only time will tell if it was a correct fix.

I am on East Coast US time so will not be able to get back to you until I am home and run the processes you recommended.  If the PLM has failed then this is the second to do so.  If I remember rightly the symptoms of the death of the first one were similar.

I am on East Coast US time so will not be able to get back to you until I am home and run the processes you recommended.  If the PLM has failed then this is the second to do so.  If I remember rightly the symptoms of the death of the first one were similar.

As indicated by Brian H, simply follow the instructions in step 2. If power cycling does not allow you to control the devices or see status change. Your next step is to perform a PLM restore in case the links are dropping off.

If you find both steps work to resolve the issue at hand you should note this is very much a band aid and stop gap measure. Until such time as you receive a new PLM which by the way if you're under the 2 year warranty period should be covered.

If the PLM is older than 2 years old but only by a week or so please do call Smarthome and you might luck out and they will offer a free replacement etc via cross dock.

The green LED light is on but this is the second one that has just gone south.  It is only 6 months old so will claim a new one, but is a real pain when the whole system dies for no apparent reason.

Once you receive the new unit consider purchasing one of these surge alarm outlets. Unlike other surge protection devices this particular unit will actually disconnect the line voltage if its too high or too low.

There isn't anything out on the market that does this for a standard outlet: http://www.panamax.com/Products/In-Wall/MIW-SURGE-1G.php

You will have to test out if this device will absorb the Insteon power line signal. I use them extensively in my home but haven't tried it with a 2413S PLM so can't say with 100% certainty that the signal won't be blocked. My other go to surge alarm outlet is Leviton which comes in various colors and 15 / 20 amp capacities: http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionDisplay.jsp?section=39994&minisite=10251&LEVCOMP_pses=ZGCF57BAD27A3F1DE619A66AA1016042BE6015B42781052D19091C502B31AD7C0CEC7B2783E46008A5CF4B9D9D06BA9A52012D401FF76EB491

These units do not impact Insteon signals when single use is employed.

Do not string more than one of these units in a circuit unless you don't care about Insteon power line signals. 

The address of the PLM is 33.5D.89 -- so not a 1.C

On the back of the unit is the hardware revision it is separate from the Insteon MAC address which you provided here. It will be like Rev 1.C with a production date like 2315. Please also state what the ISY indicates as the firmware via the Help tab.

Teken, are you saying that the Leviton is OK and will transmit the signal but the other is questionable.  Brian, Re the address number on the PLM I will get back to you as I am not at home to check.  Am ordering a new PLM.

The Leviton surge alarm outlets I listed above have been tested and proven to operate and provide surge protection with out hindrance towards Insteon power line communications.

I can't say 100% whether or not the Panamax surge alarm outlet will do the same. As it depends upon the filtering size of the capacitor in the unit. Thus far I haven't seen any issues for my Insteon plugin units like lamp lincs / On-Off modules. But than again they could very well be using the RF portion to compensate for the power line signal being eaten up.

I may try a power line only Appliance Linc and see if it operates fine . . . 

The only other numbers on the back are 2413S  V2.0  1444.  I have order a new one.

There should have been another listing such as 1.C etc.

The firmware build on the ISY is V.4.2.30

In the Admin Console select Tools -> Diagnostics -> PLM Info / Status. This will provide the PLM firmware level such as: v9B

The PLM firmware is v9E.  There were no other numbers on the device unless the v2.0 indicates the newer capacitors as noted.  Either way there is no communication beyond the PLM to the devices.  I have ordered the new PLM and Smarthome is going to exchange under the warranty. Will have to wait now and see if that solves the problem.

The PLM firmware is v9E.  There were no other numbers on the device unless the v2.0 indicates the newer capacitors as noted.  Either way there is no communication beyond the PLM to the devices.  I have ordered the new PLM and Smarthome is going to exchange under the warranty. Will have to wait now and see if that solves the problem.

Sounds good and please report back what hardware you receive on the back. Along with the ISY firmware as listed above under the *Tools*.

This will help many of us get an idea of what is shipping to the general public. As LeeG noted that hardware revision should have had the capacitor fix and should not have been the root cause. Please consider installing the surge alarm outlet to protect the PLM.

Archived