Hidden Door Sensor OCCASSIONALLY registering twice

phlash73

I hope I am posting this in the right area...   I've searched, and found no answer.

I have three of the 2845-222 hidden sensors on my system.  One of them tends to respond twice, when the door is opened.

But ONLY about 50% of the time.(usually only a 3-5 second delay).

I know this because I have it notify me by text every time it is opened.

Has ANYONE else had this problem?  Is my sensor wore out?  I know the battery is good.

Doesn't matter is I use "If status" or "if control" in my program.  Same result.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I hope I am posting this in the right area...   I've searched, and found no answer.

I have three of the 2845-222 hidden sensors on my system.  One of them tends to respond twice, when the door is opened.

Has ANYONE else had this problem?  Is my sensor wore out?  I know the battery is good.

Doesn't matter is I use "If status" or "if control" in my program.  Same result.

Not sure if it's worth mentioning but I have a program that sends me a notification twice as well.  I have a program to send me a notification when my Insteon 2441TH thermostat calls for cooling.  When it the does I get two notifications, one right after the other.  Never been able to figure out why.

Take a look at the ISY log, next time it happens, to see if the door sensor is sending more than one open signal. If so you could have an intermittent issue with the switch in the sensor. 

For "If Status" to trigger a Program multiple times the Status must change to Off and then back to On.  Multiple On commands in a row does NOT cause the Program to trigger on each On.   "If Control" would trigger multiple times but not "If Status".    

Post the Program with If Status. 

Zerop:  Only randomly? At least I aint the only one.  I CANNOT duplicate my door to MAKE it send twice.  It just does it when it wants to.

In fact, I am pretty sure it has sent 3 once in a while...

Huh, you know now that you mention it I just noticed this morning I had one of my other hidden door sensors do the same thing, send two messages, 3 seconds apart.

Take a look at the ISY log, next time it happens, to see if the door sensor is sending more than one open signal. If so you could have an intermittent issue with the switch in the sensor. 

Great!!  I never really noticed I had a problem until now.  Apparently I have the same issue.

DoorSensors / BackDoor / BackDoorOpen Status 100% Mon 2015/08/17 06:27:10 AM System Log

DoorSensors / BackDoor / BackDoorClosed Status 0% Mon 2015/08/17 06:27:10 AM System Log

DoorSensors / BackDoor / BackDoorClosed Status 100% Mon 2015/08/17 06:27:11 AM System Log

DoorSensors / BackDoor / BackDoorOpen Status 0% Mon 2015/08/17 06:27:11 AM System Log

DoorSensors / BackDoor / BackDoorOpen Status 100% Mon 2015/08/17 06:27:12 AM System Log

DoorSensors / BackDoor / BackDoorClosed Status 0% Mon 2015/08/17 06:27:12 AM System Log

DoorSensors / BackDoor / BackDoorClosed Status 100% Mon 2015/08/17 06:27:13 AM System Log

DoorSensors / BackDoor / BackDoorOpen Status 0% Mon 2015/08/17 06:27:13 AM System Log

DoorSensors / BackDoor / BackDoorOpen Status 100% Mon 2015/08/17 06:27:14 AM System Log

and 

DoorSensors / BackDoor / BackDoorOpen Status 100% Tue 2015/08/18 06:54:34 AM System Log

DoorSensors / BackDoor / BackDoorClosed Status 0% Tue 2015/08/18 06:54:34 AM System Log

DoorSensors / BackDoor / BackDoorClosed Status 100% Tue 2015/08/18 06:54:36 AM System Log

DoorSensors / BackDoor / BackDoorOpen Status 0% Tue 2015/08/18 06:54:36 AM System Log

DoorSensors / BackDoor / BackDoorOpen Status 100% Tue 2015/08/18 06:54:37 AM System Log

DoorSensors / BackDoor / BackDoorClosed Status 0% Tue 2015/08/18 06:54:37 AM System Log

Edited for formatting.

Silly question but are you in fact using this device as a two node set up? If not remove the check mark and see if the duplicates stop.

Does it matter?  This program should still only send one alert when it is opened, shouldn't it?

BackDoorOpened - [ID 020E][Parent 006A]

If
        Control 'DoorSensors / BackDoor / BackDoorOpen' is switched On

Then
        Send Notification to 'ISY Alert E-Mail' content 'BackDoorOpened'

Else
        - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

This sensor doesn't really need to use two nodes but it is in two node mode.  My other sensors do need to use two nodes (turns lights on when door opens and leaves them on when it closes) and I have the same notify setup on those other sensors and I only get one notification.

Does it matter?  This program should still only send one alert when it is opened, shouldn't it?

BackDoorOpened - [ID 020E][Parent 006A]

If
        Control 'DoorSensors / BackDoor / BackDoorOpen' is switched On

Then
        Send Notification to 'ISY Alert E-Mail' content 'BackDoorOpened'

Else
        - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

This sensor doesn't really need to use two nodes but it is in two node mode.  My other sensors do need to use two nodes (turns lights on when door opens and leaves them on when it closes) and I have the same notify setup on those other sensors and I only get one notification.

That was the confirmation I was looking for actually. Are the sensors you have in place all made in the same production year and have the same ISY firmware as listed?

I ask because Smartlabs has been well known to change behavior with out informing the general public and their 3rd party vendors.

That was the confirmation I was looking for actually. Are the sensors you have in place all made in the same production year and have the same ISY firmware as listed?

I ask because Smartlabs has been well known to change behavior with out informing the general public and their 3rd party vendors.

I have 5 hidden door sensors (2845-222).  2 of them are new (v.44) and were purchased last month.  The other 3 are older (v.43).  Only one of the newer ones seems to be producing the multiple signals (I'll need to look into this further to make sure that's correct, but I found one log entry for the other new device and it only produced one open signal).  I'm not at home right now so I can't find out the hardware version.  The newer one that is NOT sending multiple signals is 0615 V1.4 (I know this from one of my previous posts).

I have 5 hidden door sensors (2845-222).  2 of them are new (v.44) and were purchased last month.  The other 3 are older (v.43).  Only one of the newer ones is producing the multiple signals.  I'm not at home right now so I can't find out the hardware version.  The newer one that is NOT giving me problems is 0615 V1.4 (I know this from one of my previous posts).

If you purchased both (new) units together its highly likely the hardware / firmware is the same. I only ask because over the years many battery operated devices have had minor firmware changes to how it behaves.

Many of us have also noted firmware levels showing the exactly the same but operate completely different. The most frustrating aspect of this is often times these changes are introduced mid production.

Meaning something will have v.43, and another person will have the exact same v.43 but it will operate and behave completely differently. This has been seen in the Open-Close, Leak Sensor, and Door Sensors.

I decided to replace/return the one hidden door sensor that was triggering an open command twice each time the door was opened once in hopes that it was just a defective product.  I got its replacement last night and I swapped it out in all my programs and this morning...sure enough...opened the door and got two open signals....again.

Another defect or something else wrong with the new hidden door sensors firmware and the ISY?

DoorSensors / BackDoor / BackDoorOpen Status 100% Mon 2015/08/24 08:37:26 AM System Log
DoorSensors / BackDoor / BackDoorClosed Status 0% Mon 2015/08/24 08:37:26 AM System Log
DoorSensors / BackDoor / BackDoorClosed Status 100% Mon 2015/08/24 08:37:29 AM System Log
DoorSensors / BackDoor / BackDoorOpen Status 0% Mon 2015/08/24 08:37:29 AM System Log
DoorSensors / BackDoor / BackDoorOpen Status 100% Mon 2015/08/24 08:37:32 AM System Log
DoorSensors / BackDoor / BackDoorClosed Status 0% Mon 2015/08/24 08:37:32 AM System Log

I decided to replace/return the one hidden door sensor that was triggering an open command twice each time the door was opened once in hopes that it was just a defective product.  I got its replacement last night and I swapped it out in all my programs and this morning...sure enough...opened the door and got two open signals....again.

Another defect or something else wrong with the new hidden door sensors firmware and the ISY?

DoorSensors / BackDoor / BackDoorOpen Status 100% Mon 2015/08/24 08:37:26 AM System Log
DoorSensors / BackDoor / BackDoorClosed Status 0% Mon 2015/08/24 08:37:26 AM System Log
DoorSensors / BackDoor / BackDoorClosed Status 100% Mon 2015/08/24 08:37:29 AM System Log
DoorSensors / BackDoor / BackDoorOpen Status 0% Mon 2015/08/24 08:37:29 AM System Log
DoorSensors / BackDoor / BackDoorOpen Status 100% Mon 2015/08/24 08:37:32 AM System Log
DoorSensors / BackDoor / BackDoorClosed Status 0% Mon 2015/08/24 08:37:32 AM System Log

Another silly question have you considered placing a wait in the program before it fires off the e-mail? It doesn't really address the fact the sensor is firing off two open commands.

But gather this is being done to insure the signal is getting through give it a try.

Also, can you bring up the level 3 error logs and toggle the device to single node and also disable the repeat ON. Perhaps the ISY needs to be updated to see if these options are even supported correctly.

I would submit a ticket to UDI referencing this thread and I am sure they will figure out what is happening.

Check the size of the opening between door and door frame.   For two devices to switch to Open, Closed, Open suggests the possibility the Hidden Door Sensor is too close to its Open/Close state.  The Hidden Door Sensor comes with a spacer/filler that moves the Sensor closer to the door frame so the switch is less likely to change state as the door moves past the door frame.

Would also like to see a Tools | Diagnostics | Event Viewer at LEVEL 3 trace of the Open/Close/Open sequence.   If multiple Dual Band devices pick up the Hidden Door Sensor, one on 120v leg1 and one on 120v leg 2, the PLM may be seeing a delayed message sequence.

Archived