Motion Sensor Question

davemann

A voltmeter is inadequate for testing a battery as it doesn't subject the battery to a load. Use a battery tester such as this one.

Not necessary, the batteries were bought recently, and I know they're fine.  I've used new ones from the same pack for other devices and not had a problem.  Guys - I assure you, it's not a battery issue.

Also, I bought the Insteon devices about a week ago as part of the Assurance Kit, I just chose to ditch the Insteon Hub and get an ISY instead, because the Hub really doesn't enable much.  It's a shame that the Hub wasn't really more of a user friendly implementation of the functionality that's available in the ISY.

Not necessary, the batteries were bought recently, and I know they're fine.  I've used new ones from the same pack for other devices and not had a problem.  Guys - I assure you, it's not a battery issue.

Also, I bought the Insteon devices about a week ago as part of the Assurance Kit, I just chose to ditch the Insteon Hub and get an ISY instead, because the Hub really doesn't enable much.  It's a shame that the Hub wasn't really more of a user friendly implementation of the functionality that's available in the ISY.

My next step would be to order a new MS and a few other parts to diversify or nullify the shipping costs. I assume you want to continue your Insteon system with our assurances these units work well?

Set up the new MS unit and if all works then start the RMA process. If not, then something else is awry with the MS setup and you will know where to focus your further sleuthing on.

I found almost all my 9 MS units did really weird things until factory reset and I started over. I assume that was done IIRC in this thread. At this point in the troubleshooting process don't assume anything.

BTW:  Factory reset takes a process that is not just removing and replacing the battery.

My next step would be to order a new MS and a few other parts to diversify or nullify the shipping costs. I assume you want to continue your Insteon system with our assurances these units work well?

Set up the new MS unit and if all works then start the RMA process. If not, then something else is awry with the MS setup and you will know where to focus your further sleuthing on.

I found almost all my 9 MS units did really weird things until factory reset and I started over. I assume that was done IIRC in this thread. At this point in the troubleshooting process don't assume anything.

BTW: Factory reset takes a process that is not just removing and replacing the battery.

I will likely pick up another sensor and try it... I did follow the factory reset process from the user manual when I did it before.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

I will likely pick up another sensor and try it... I did follow the factory reset process from the user manual when I did it before.

It's a hard physical motion to accomplish this. I have attempted to do it and missed the reset somehow. I would try it again. Make sure you hold that button until all the beeping and flashing  stops happening. Who knows. may save you some agro. Like I stated...at this point don't assume or trust anything. Do it again.

If all steps have been done and its not the battery its possible you have a bad unit. Its pretty rare to be honest because I can count on one hand the amount of people who have complained about a bunk MS sensor.

I wouldn't waste anymore time with this and just initiated a RMA so you can get up and running again. When you have time please do state the production date and ISY firmware for the sensor.

You never know there might be a bad batch floating around . . .

Well - I removed the device from the ISY, did the factory reset (again), and it's still the same old story.  I can stand right in front of the damn thing and jump around, wave my arms like a stupid idiot, or anything along those lines.. and it doesn't trip.

It only seems to trip if I touch it or tap it ever so slightly.  Such a pain in the ***.  I guess I'm still going to pick another one up and hopefully it doesn't act the same.  It can't be this hard to get a motion sensor working properly.  My GE 6540UPI sensor that's connected to my Honeywell alarm system works like a charm, everytime I walk by, move, etc, and I literally just wired it up and walked away.

Frustrating.

Archived