ELV Dimmer?

dansarrosick

Beginning to work on a project to add some recessed lighting to a porch that doesn't have enough space to mount full sized cans. I found a light that mounts directly in the j-box and looks pretty similar to a traditional hi-hat:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-6-in-Soft-White-Recessed-LED-Can-Disk-Light-CE-JB6-650L-27K-E26/203596700

Problem is all of the reviews note a humming when attaching these lights to nearly any dimmer. Most say you need an "ELV dimmer" and note only a single Lutron model that works. If I can't Insteon-ify these lights I'm not really interested in doing the project. 

Any thoughts on if the 2477D would work for this? Its outside so it doesn't need to be silent but some of the reviews said it was really loud. If the 2477D wouldn't work would the 2477S work? Assume so but dimming them is really the fun part...

Thanks in advance.

The LEDs made by Cree which is one of the brands that's been reported as compatible with Insteon dimmers. But, the only real test is to try it.

Beginning to work on a project to add some recessed lighting to a porch that doesn't have enough space to mount full sized cans. I found a light that mounts directly in the j-box and looks pretty similar to a traditional hi-hat:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-6-in-Soft-White-Recessed-LED-Can-Disk-Light-CE-JB6-650L-27K-E26/203596700

Problem is all of the reviews note a humming when attaching these lights to nearly any dimmer. Most say you need an "ELV dimmer" and note only a single Lutron model that works. If I can't Insteon-ify these lights I'm not really interested in doing the project. 

Any thoughts on if the 2477D would work for this? Its outside so it doesn't need to be silent but some of the reviews said it was really loud. If the 2477D wouldn't work would the 2477S work? Assume so but dimming them is really the fun part...

Thanks in advance.

This led fixture, model # CE-JB6-650L-27K-E26, is made by CREE and it's the one you referenced.  You should probably buy one and test with Insteon. Worst case scenario is that you'll have to return it.  All of my LED's are CREE and work well with Insteon.

Archived